Advice on headstock break repair

What's Hot
Greetings folks,
I've asked by my mother-in-law to attempt a repair of a 12-string acoustic neck break.
The break, mostly, is a glue-line failure (and small wood break) at the scarf join (beyond the fretboard) in a Simon & Patrick guitar of about 20 years old. She has a tendency to leave the guitar in the boot of her car....
The failure looks mostly clean, and hinged at the faceplate veneer which i *think* is maple faced with black paper.

It looks straightfoward to inject some glue into the failure and clamp up, which brings me to : 

1) Which glue? Titebond seems a no-no as i wouldnt have fresh surfaces, at least without *a lot* more work. Epoxy (I have Z-Poxy 30min) maybe? If so, how accurate does the mix have to be? Cascamite? Gorilla glue? (Should be able to achieve good approximation of surfaces, and good clamping). Im not set up for HHG, so not an option.

2) Once glued, is it worthwhile reinforcing with a spline or two?

Thanks for your advice, this will be my first repair. I dont think this is a particularly valuable guitar, but has great sentimental attachment. It also needs new frets, but not this time!

Some images : 
https://i.imgur.com/YuDy4SS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/MbPwQGS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/99cPAQ2.jpeg

Cheers,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited September 2021
    sounds like you are on the right track, i wouldn't titebond for a failed glue join

Zpoxy 30 should work well, and you will likely get away without needing to splint.  You may want to warm the glue by putting the bottles in hot water for a few minutes to help make it nice and runny.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I would use slow-set Araldite, rather than any form of quick-set epoxy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1590
    Thanks for the advice chaps. Much appreciated.

@ICBM - would you consider the 30-minute ZPoxy to be a fast set? I havent used it for wood-wood bonds, but i was under the impression it set hard and strong, unlike their 5-minute stuff.

Adam
    Kalimna said:

@ICBM - would you consider the 30-minute ZPoxy to be a fast set? I havent used it for wood-wood bonds, but i was under the impression it set hard and strong, unlike their 5-minute stuff.
    I'm not that familiar with it, but 30 minutes is pretty fast - you don't want to be trying to clamp up the joint and disturbing it once the glue is into its setting reaction, which is even quicker with heat - I would be concerned that it was starting to cure at under 5 minutes or so if the total set time is 30min without heat. Even thoroughly heated (I use a hairdryer normally), slow-set Araldite gives you a working time of at least a full half hour, maybe more. I then prefer to leave the joint under an old-fashioned filament desk lamp so it stays warm for a long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Is the concern more that the bond lacks strength, or the quick open time?
    Kalimna said:
    Is the concern more that the bond lacks strength, or the quick open time?
    Both. If you disturb it when it's started to cure it will lack strength.

Ok, im in no rush to glue this up, I'll go and buy some Araldite tomorrow. I assume its the standard stuff in squeezy tubes?
    Kalimna said:
    Ok, im in no rush to glue this up, I'll go and buy some Araldite tomorrow. I assume its the standard stuff in squeezy tubes?
    Yes, Araldite Standard.

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    edited September 2021
    Zpoxy 30 will be fine.   Its great stuff.   The 5 minute one is the fast cure.   It's working time, not total cure time.

Edit... actually it does say 30 mins cure, but I've never had an issue with that being too quick even when warmed a little.  

Always worth giving 24 hours or more for full cure