Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much compromise / is it worth it? (band questions)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• "How much compromise?"

Only you can answer that.
    Every band involves compromise over material - either you have a band leader who dictates what you play and the other members are happy with the compromise of being told what to do, or you have a band that operates as a democracy, in which each band member has to live with only having a percentage of the say.
    Even famous originals bands have this issue - Mick Jagger's not particularly fond of Tumbling Dice, but it's a big hit with the fanbase so they play it often, for example.

There are all kinds of compromises involved in being in a band - what songs you'll play is obviously one, but also what are you going to wear? Where are you prepared to gig? How often? Who gets this solo or that part..?     You'll just know when you are happy and when you're not...and when you're not it's time to speak up and face the fact that you'll either be listened to or it is time to ship out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    LOL getting everyone to agree on clothing/theme is the biggest problem in my band believe it or not LOL. Everyone's a fashion victim all of a sudden :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • @hotpickups Yes, it can be one of those issues that really causes division in a band, can't it?

We're a wedding band, so really it has to be smart gear, which is easy enough, but as the oldest and most overweight member of the band I have had to distance myself from some of the most fashion-conscious suggestions over the years...Who wants to look like the rest of the band's dad trying to be down with the kidz?!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    Lot of really good input in here, thanks to all who replied :)

I made the decision today, but I based it on the family side of things in the end, I couldn't in good conscious take four hours out of an evening and not give my wife a break from dealing with the baby, not fair on her, especially as I don't think my heart is really in it either. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    I've been there. 

I quit a band a month before my daughter was born. I was bimbling along not enjoying it that much, but impending fatherhood made me really resent the time I needed to spend practicing etc.

It puts life into sharp focus.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    PVO_Dave said:

I made the decision today, but I based it on the family side of things in the end, I couldn't in good conscious take four hours out of an evening and not give my wife a break from dealing with the baby, not fair on her, especially as I don't think my heart is really in it either. 
    I think that's a good decision at this particular time in your life. You can always pick up from where you left off with the bands in a couple of years time.

Actually I clean forgot about you the thread originator. I've been enjoying all the input too :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    PVO_Dave said:

You got there before I was going to suggest it. 
    Ultimately if you are unhappy and you cant make head way you end up resenting the band and dislike doing it. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • good decision choice. you will know when you are ready to go back to band playing again.