Hillbilly Fret Press

I have a raised 8th fret on my acoustic, affecting mostly the high E (which gets snagged under the end of the fret occassionally) but also the B string slightly. I only paid £50 for the guitar so I'd rather not pay £45 for an Amazon special fret press (I can get the fret repaired and the guitar fully set up for a little more) but equally this is the second guitar I've had a similar issue with so it's not out of the question.

I don't play the acoustic all that much compared to my electrics, but I do play once a week with a group where my electric would be inappropriate (not to mention exposing of my flaws!) so it needs sorting - is there a home-brew way of sorting this out? If I can find a way to press the fret down without damaging it in the process, I can get some glue in there, but I don't want to lead to needing a refret in the process of clamping it (this would render the guitar effectively scrap).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11976
    tFB Trader
    Bleed some glue under it and hold the end down with the tip of a wide bladed screwdriver till the superglue sets
    Or take a wooden dowel and file a groove in the end that will eat just over the fret and use that - you are making a homemade version of this tool

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Bleed some glue under it and hold the end down with the tip of a wide bladed screwdriver till the superglue sets
    Or take a wooden dowel and file a groove in the end that will eat just over the fret and use that - you are making a homemade version of this tool

Beautiful - I'd not considered just holding the end of the fret down until the glue sets. Can you tell I'm a bare-ass novice?!

Thanks!