Ebay Global shipping - Brazilian Rosewood necks .

What's Hot

Just sold an old Windsor zither on ebay , thought all was well until I saw that it was bought through the Global shipping program and the buyer is in Canada . 

From what I have read online the fingerboard on the instrument is Brazilian rosewood  , the instrument is over a 100 years old so all should be well but not 100%.

I contacted Ebay who said it should ok as they only permitted certain categories to be sent overseas , I  tried explaining it was the woods used in the banjos construction rather than it being a banjo but gave up .

Where does the responsibility lie with me or Ebay ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
     The CITES restrictions on exporting/importing Rosewood was lifted in the UK in 2019 . Unfortunately it is not the same everywhere   , so you might need to check the rules in  Canada. But worked items made before 1947  are exempt , but you might still need to fill in the form .    
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    edited October 2021
    more said:
     The CITES restrictions on exporting/importing Rosewood was lifted in the UK in 2019 . Unfortunately it is not the same everywhere   , so you might need to check the rules in  Canada. But worked items made before 1947  are exempt , but you might still need to fill in the form .    
    That restriction was on other rosewood, the restrictions on BRW pre-date it and are still in place

If the instrument is pre-1947, its not illegal to ship it, but you still need the correct paperwork to do so

good guide here
    https://www.nottinghamcityguitars.com/cites-guitars/

I would not ship without a certificate.  eBay can say its fine, but you be the one who loses out when its not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    more said:
    That restriction was on other rosewood, the restrictions on BRW pre-date it and are still in place

If the instrument is pre-1947, its not illegal to ship it, but you still need the correct paperwork to do so

good guide here
    https://www.nottinghamcityguitars.com/cites-guitars/

I would not ship without a certificate.  eBay can say its fine, but you be the one who loses out when its not
    Thanks for the information and link , I contacted ebay again  but they just say that if it was allowed to be listed under the GSP it will be ok even after explained about the woods etc .   I have checked online and there is some confliting information about the fingerboard and headstock veneer some say Ebony others Brazilian rosewood . 

Can you tell from the photos ?

• WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    looks like ebony to me
  • moremore Frets: 230
    WezV said:
    looks like ebony to me
    I agree 
  • Thanks, I've got ebay to state writing that if any issues arise  it is down to them and it's only  my responsibility just to get the banjo to the UK depot then its down to them and the buyer.

Hopefully it's not an issue and the fingerboard is Ebony but next time will double check that gsp option is not selected .

Thanks again