Poly Effects Beebo - Thoughts ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CFHCFH Frets: 456
    Just got one. Give me a few weeks and I'll report back...! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've also been considering a Beebo recently to sit alongside my HX Stomp to handle trips into the weird and wonderful. The only thing making me pause for thought is some reports that the latency can be rather high for guitar use. Any thoughts on this from current users?

Also been looking at the Zoia for a while as an alternative. I'm happy enough with general synthesis stuff and don't mind getting in deep but ease of use is probably my main concern with the Zoia. @Paul_C as you've got two of each, I'd appreciate your take on this given your previous comment.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

I'm not aware of any latency while using either the Beebo or the Zoia (as opposed to switching between patches) but I have heard it mentioned, so maybe what I use them for doesn't make me the best judge.

I'm up to 148 patches made for the Beebo and none for the Zoia, which might give you some idea of which is easier to use (for me at least). Having said that, there are hundreds of patches available for the Zoia so it may well be easier than it looks.

If I had to get rid of three and keep only one, it would be a Beebo, but that doesn't mean I dislike the Zoia, in fact I might be able to get into Zoia patch making now I have a better idea how it might* work.

*no idea how similar they are in terms of patch construction, but I'm assuming there's some overlap of systems.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    I only noticed latency when using a cab sim module. This was early firmware though, no issues otherwise but if you join the fb group and do a search you will get feedback from others, some have tried measuring it. Loki is/was considering some software fixes but I don't know if they have been implemented yet.

Not an issue for me.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the feedback which has helped me think it through some more.

As my intended use is as an addition to explore sounds more "out there", small latencies shouldn't be a major issue after all as my core sounds will still be from the HX Stomp. I can patch the Beebo back in to the stomp when desired, in the loop as a separate block and can even see possible uses for splitting the outputs.

It's the flexibility and ease of use that's attached me to the Beebo and I think it's back to the top of the list.

Cheers
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    I think if you are using it a studio, where every microsecond counts, there may be something it it. But for us 'users' it's not noticeable.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Decided to grab on after seeing a demo of the Loopler module. I really like the complexity of the operations it gives you while allowing multiple loops. Also I've been hankering after some extra reverbs and a reverse delay.

I've still not got round to exploring the Loopler, but only because looping stuff isn't really important to what I do.

If you want patches I've got more than 250 uploaded to Google drive now ;)
  • Paul_C said:

I've still not got round to exploring the Loopler, but only because looping stuff isn't really important to what I do.

If you want patches I've got more than 250 uploaded to Google drive now ;)
    Wow! Have you thought about adding them to patchstorage? 

Too much faffing about to do so, especially if I did each one separately :o

• Paul_C said:

Too much faffing about to do so, especially if I did each one separately :o

Yeah, 250 is an awful lot! I’m impressed! Do you have any go-tos or bankers, or are they one shot and done? 
    I did sort out a list of favourites, but they might not suit everyone. 
  • I need to dust mine off and update it. I still have to switch between modes
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • It arrived today. Just did a quick check to see if it's working and already the Loopler looks like it's got a lot of promise. Apparently it can handle 10+ loops with 40 seconds of record time each, more than enough for me. Am glad I have an old school capacitive stylus and a midi footswitch controller already lying around though.
    edited December 2021

A firmware update has just landed - 3.20

Some new modules and one or two requested fixes.

• Paul_C said:

A firmware update has just landed - 3.20

Some new modules and one or two requested fixes.

Cool, a bit crusher!

I'm looking forward to having a play with the new stuff later - I spent the last hour updating three Beebos, as the update reinstalls all the patches that come on a new Beebo and they're cluttered enough with my own patches ;)

I spent the first part of this week tinkering with my Zoias, rearranging and deleting patches to make room for trying out some recent downloads and to prep for recording in the new year.

It's nice that a lot of my favourites are @personalnadir ones - keep up the good work !

I'm still hoping to make one or two Zoia patches but it's so much easier on the Beebo. 
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 355
    edited December 2021
    Thanks @Paul_C, glad they are still getting use. Not had much inspiration recently. Have toyed around with a stereo Shallow Water inspired effect, but there seems to be so many that it’s not worth uploading that one. 

That said playing around with delay lines on the Zoia is a good way to get started. From memory the shallow water effect is at its most basic a delay line with an LFO controlling the time. The actual pedal proper uses an analogue delay and has a filter, but that’s by the by 
  • Ooh, those convolution reverbs are tasty, even in mono. Just tried them now