Esquire ish to Tele ish thinline conversion

What's Hot
So I bought @DrBob Esquire body the other day…

The thing is… I’m not a big fan of single pickup guitars so buoyed by enthusiasm, bravado and bloody mindedness, I deployed power tools to it this morning to slot in a PAF style humbucker I had loitering in a drawer.
Now, I hate routers… they scare the bejiggers out of me, as I’ve had a few “exciting moments” using them. Plus precision isn’t my middle name so I was quite pleased with the outcome it’s by no means perfect but it’s straight and functional.

Pics or it didn’t happen, I know…

Outline scrawled on masking tape, and out to the garage… Gracie, the 1967 Hillman Imp looks on in horror.

Stop taking pictures and get on with it….

Ooh eck, too late now. Bloody gert big hole in the front.

Trial fit of said humbucker is encouraging. Note Aldi special router - massive £23 investment about ten years ago.

Back in the house for a mock up… it’s wrecked as it’s now upside down… or is that the picture?

Additionally I’ve recessed the neck bolts into the body. It’s a deeper than standard thickness and so regular length neck screws only tickle the neck heel. I’m not showing that as it’s rough as a badgers arse due to cheap tools, incompetent operator and boundless enthusiasm.

If I get any more time this weekend I may try putting it together properly… then again, I may not!! 
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks like a fun project! One thing I have learned already... I really need to get down to Aldi :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Great to see it being brought to life rather than lying forgotten in the corner of my shed ! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    impmann said:
    enthusiasm, bravado and bloody mindedness … 1967 Hillman Imp
    These things go together - especially if you have to manually balance twin carburettors.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:
    These things go together - especially if you have to manually balance twin carburettors.
    Amen brother!!

• Stop building telecasters man!

I have a set of WRHB sat here doing sweet FA if you fancy making that neck route a bit bigger 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Stop building telecasters man!

I have a set of WRHB sat here doing sweet FA if you fancy making that neck route a bit bigger 
    Oooh, now that’s a thought…

• impmann said:
    Try balancing four…! :cry: