Nice Bernie Marsden Interview

What's Hot
Really enjoyed this, although it's quite long.
Seems like a sound bloke and some genuinely interesting questions.

Favourite quote so far is when they are talking about musical feel vs technical ability and he mentions Nile Rodgers from Chic "You've either got that feel or you haven't...There's no app for that" :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16424
    Bernie said hello to me once, in the corridor just before he played the gig. He is about 3 foot tall. Off to see him in November supporting Joanne Shaw Taylor.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cool!

Just had the start of this on in the background and, ignoring the bit about the history of Buckingham, a better interview than the one in Guitarist. She actually seems to have done some research and thought through the questions.
  • I agree...except that the history of Buckingham is interesting to me as my folks live there!

I haven't made it all the way through the video yet, it's my washing up video on my Kindle at the moment, and frustratingly there wasn't much washing up last night...Don't you hate it when that happens?!

• he's such a cool guy !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Bernie said hello to me once, in the corridor just before he played the gig. He is about 3 foot tall. Off to see him in November supporting Joanne Shaw Taylor.
    Ohhh sacrilege. Should be the other way round! But oh well. JST is a great muso! :) So hats off to her. Sounds like a good gig. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Octahedron;321534" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Ohhh sacrilege. Should be the other way round! But oh well. JST is a great muso! :) So hats off to her. Sounds like a good gig. 
    I think he is joining her onstage for part of it.
    We ought to get her dad on here, he is/ was a regular on TDPRI and is a Brummie IIRC.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    I listened to it last night. 

It's a really good interview and that and the interview with the guy from Twisted Sister reminded me of the great advantages of modern video hosting that if you get some gold when you are doing an interview you can just stick the whole thing up there without having to edit it down to a five minute segment as you probably would for traditional television.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1571
    I was at this World Guitars PRS event in 2011, gave me goosebumps when he played this...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    Wow, what an incredible version. 

I've never really been a fan of that song, but he seems to unlock some additional depth in it.
  • Wow, what an incredible version. 

I've never really been a fan of that song, but he seems to unlock some additional depth in it.
    That's pretty much what I was about to say, but you beat me to it!

A band I was in used to murder that song, as I am sure many Rock covers bands across the world do on a weekly basis...and I must admit to hating it even back then, but what a version!

Until his PRS SE came out, I'm not even sure I knew who he WAS, so a bit of catching up to do on my part now...

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited August 2014
    Until his PRS SE came out, I'm not even sure I knew who he WAS, so a bit of catching up to do on my part now...
    I didn't know he wrote or co-wrote the Whitesnake hits (according to Wiki). I did know that he owns a very valuable Original Gibson Les Paul and that he is willing to loan it out to Joe Bonamassa. I think that tells us something very positive about the man (maybe Joe as well....).
    The PRS model looks very interesting. Must try one at some point.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10426
    This is why I love this place.Two great videos in two days including the Twisted Sister one that I'd never have got to see if not posted on here.Thanks for posting @RocknRollDave .
    Bernie seems such a nice guy without a hint of ego and a real glint in his eye.He's now become my new favourite 'people who I'd love to have a pint with'
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've been listening to his new album, "Shine".

Rather good :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Bernie said hello to me once, in the corridor just before he played the gig. He is about 3 foot tall.
    I've told this before, (not that there's much to tell and the fact I confused the names of Bernie Tormé and Berrnie Marsden), but I was in a music shop trying out some DAW software and gradually became aware of the bluesy playing from the back of the shop.  Playing  and phrasing which was simply head and shoulders above anything you'd usually hear.  I said to the shop guy, "He's a bit good isn't he?".  It was Mr Marsden, there to do a showcase gig.  I had no idea who he was, but the talent shone out.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Having listened further, some thoughts:

Bernie really needs a singer. While his voice is tuneful, he would be sacked from Chicago/Toto/Journey/Boston for being too bland a singer.

The best lyrics on the album were written by Mr Coverdale.

There's a track (possibly a tribute to his friend Jon) that couldn't sound more like Deep Purple if it had the words "smoke" and "water" in it.

Joe Bonamassa takes a great big shit over one of the songs. The bastard.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."