Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Live gigs - do you accept requests for audience members to sing or play?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    A band plays locally from time to time ,the leader being somebody from a famous 70s band . Nice guy, well known in music industry just having a bit of fun with his 2 sons and their mates ......all very competant.
     There will always be somebody in the audience who gets up and plays guitar with them appearing to be an audience member..... ,everybody expects them to be inferior and of course they are spectacular session musician mates .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I always entertain someone who thinks they can sing ( they never can as getting over a very loud drummer is hard physical graft] but I never let anyone play my guitar - well not yet after 30 plus years 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    I wouldn’t let anyone touch my gear in a bar/pub gig. Previous posters saying they were threatened blows my mind. Who do people think they are??? I’d pack up and leave there and then. 

I was discussing this with someone else who plays in a lot of wedding bands and he said it makes you seem quite fun if you allow the groom to join you for a song. In that case, I think it’s fine. They’re paying you and it’s them that’ll look silly, not you. In a pub gig where some drunk comes up to the band and asks to play Elvis? Fuck no. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5446
    No. Just no. You are being paid to entertain a crowd because you are good at it. (Hopefully!) If you want to invite another musician up for a couple of numbers, fine.

But it is one of the immutable truths of nature that the keener an audience member is to invite himself to get up and play or sing, the more appallingly bad he will be at doing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5446
    Roland said:
    No. I don't want anyone touching my gear!
    “Can I have a go on your guitar?”
    ”Yes, if I can have a go on your girlfriend”
    And if the punter says "Sure, we have a deal"?

• No, same as I don’t try to help a plumber or electrician  and use his tools. 
  • Tannin said:
    Roland said:

Depends.. is she good looking?
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Tannin said:
    Roland said:

Depends.. is she good looking?
    Ooh, picky!

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    We once played the wedding of a band friend, and he got a deal out of us saying he couldn't afford much.
    Turned up and no wonder he couldn't afford, because it looked like he'd spent tens of thousands on everything else. No expense spared apart from on us. 
    Halfway through the set he said he wanted to sing Mustang Sally, which we don't play so we cobbled it together. Then he  took the singer's guitar and said he wanted to do All Right Now. Gets to the solo and he's apparently taking that, extended it forever and then he wouldn't fuck off. 
    In the end the only reason he left was cos the power to the stage cut out, which on reflection I'm not sure was an accident...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom