What amplifier is this please??

What's Hot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251617287696?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Ive been offered this amplifier at a fair price but i cant be sure what it is any help would be appreciated. The seller confirms its handwired as when it comes back from serviving it states ^HARDWIRED^ on the work sheet.

I know its a Marshall/Korg era model, its definitely not an anniversary model, so im finding it hard to identifiy. The serial number has been rubbed off.

I know there were a few ltd edition handwired models made but they had different nameplates, and a plaque in the bottom right hand corner of the grille. Im wondering if this has been customised in some way

Confusing!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    I've not seen one like that before.
    At first glance it looks like one of the recent AC30HW amps, but they don't have the six inputs and aren't made in England.

I'm not sure how I feel about Voxs with greenbacks..

Do you mind me asking what the "fair price" is, as if say the £900 on the eBay listing is probably too high
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Late 90s Korg Marshall. Great amps, but not perfect AC30 recreations. I wouldnt pay £900 for one, but Id take one over a CC model.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    edited August 2014
    It's also not "handwired" unless it's been completely rebuilt - or "hardwired", unless that refers to something specific that was done, ie disabling the mains voltage selector. These are PCB amps. They are also good amps, so I wouldn't let that put you off. While they are not built the same as the old ones, they do sound the closest to a vintage AC30 of any of the reissues or modern versions.

Greenbacks do sound good in AC30s, although not quite the same - or as loud, which may be useful - as the Blues. They also make the amp take pedals slightly better, particularly heavier distortion, if that's a consideration.

I would not pay as much as £900 for one with Greenbacks in that condition though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• All I can think of is that it's been handwired by an individual (assuming the seller knows the difference) I'll ask for an internal picture, I've no problem with greenbacks in Vox, I had a 1990 anniversary reissue (probably why I'm interested in this amp) and it was great, wish I never got rid of it, At the moment I think top whack for this version is £500
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74495
    All I can think of is that it's been handwired by an individual (assuming the seller knows the difference) I'll ask for an internal picture
    I certainly wouldn't be put off by a PCB, in fact I would be more concerned that it's been badly handwired aftermarket! A pic would settle both questions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Agreed,

He is sending a few pictures tonight, ive no problem with PCBs either, people get a bit too excited about handwired they are easier to maintain/repair, but as for sound difference im not convinced!

The seller seems genuine enough, i think he may have been missold unfortunately
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2590
    Some handwired amps are harder to maintain. Do a google search for "PTP amp" and you'll see what I mean.

As ICBM has said, I'd rather have a well designed, well built PCB amp than something put together by a cowboy.

A well built turret board is a thing of beauty though.

See what the photos show.

If you're getting it for £500 and it all works as it should and isn't a rats nest inside then I think that's a pretty good deal
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Received pics, big old green PCB. I think he was unfortunate to be sold it as handwired, genuinely disappointed for him as he probably paid way over the top.