Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rickenbacker no longer lacquering fretboards

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
Not sure how I feel about this. My 360 plays great and the board has never bothered me, it’s part of the Ric package to me, but I guess it might please some players. I’d be interested to try one I suppose!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Never had a problem with this, just makes it feel like a lacquered maple board and no one really complains about them.

But I guess some people wanted this? Or maybe it's a cost-cut? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7030
    tFB Trader
    It'll certainly make refrets easier. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    edited October 2021
    A friend of mine recently bought a really nice used 330 in as new condition.

We had a good play with with and it sounded absolutely great - but wasn't that much of a player - so off it went post haste for a medium jumbo refret and ditch the fingerboard lacquer.

Now it's a much better playing and useful guitar - retaining the Ricky sound - just without the idiosyncrasies that yes, yes lots of people prize highly, but limit the guitar quite a lot.

Sacrilege to some, but without that work doing, it was of little practical use when compared to his other guitars - its great now.

Whatever reason they've decided to do it - I give it a thumbs up.
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • It'll be due to a lack o' sacks o' Rickenbacker lacquer
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832

We had a good play with with and it sounded absolutely great - but wasn't that much of a player - so off it went post haste for a medium jumbo refret and ditch the fingerboard lacquer.

Now it's a much better playing and useful guitar - retaining the Ricky sound - just without the idiosyncrasies that yes, yes lots of people prize highly, but limit the guitar quite a lot.

Sacrilege to some, but without that work doing, it was of little practical use when compared to his other guitars - its great now.

To play devil's advocate, sometimes idiosyncracies/limitations/whatever you want to call them can actually fire creativity. It seems like a lot of people want to make every guitar play super easily but sometimes something gets lost in the process. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26992

I've wondered why they never do it as an option - taller frets, no lacquer and another 1.5mm of nut width wouldve made me think twice about selling mine. 

I've heard they're happy to do those sorts of things for artist orders, so why not the rest of us?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Loobs said:

To play devil's advocate, sometimes idiosyncracies/limitations/whatever you want to call them can actually fire creativity. It seems like a lot of people want to make every guitar play super easily but sometimes something gets lost in the process. 
    Yeah, everyone is different - and I take the point - buuuuuuuttt......

.....on the other, other hand - being able to play something normally out of reach on a regular Ricky also fires creativity in a different way.

A passage normally not doable on a guitar for whatever reason is now doable, and get the Ricky sound palette.

As usual YMMV, everyone is different and wants and values different stuff, tones, looks, playability, etc
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    True! 
    I would friggin' love a 12-string ricky 360! Someday! 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    Loobs said:
    Best/worst thing I have done was buy a 360-12. Best because nothing else compares; worst, because I am no longer interested in playing anything but jangle. :)
  • A friend of mine recently bought a really nice used 330 in as new condition.

I've wondered why they never do it as an option - taller frets, no lacquer and another 1.5mm of nut width wouldve made me think twice about selling mine. 

I've heard they're happy to do those sorts of things for artist orders, so why not the rest of us?
    Because all of these things (narrow nut, lacquered board, smaller frets etc.) are an intrinsic part of the authentic Rickenbacker experience … until such time as Rickenbacker decide to change them themselves at which point they are no longer that important …
    Yes, that what I was thinking. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72328
    I don’t mind the lacquered board, but given the choice I’d prefer without. My 4001 was stripped when I got it, as was my former (now @UnclePsychosis :) ) 381. My ‘67 450 still has it, and although it needs a refret really and I’d almost certainly go with stripping the board at the same time, I’m quite reluctant to do it as it’s one of the few bits that’s actually still original…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11659
    Loobs said:
    I wanted one too, but I got one of these instead and never looked back.  You can jangle all day long.  They've gone up £300 in price since I bought mine 5 years ago mind...

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    ICBM said:
    I don’t mind the lacquered board, but given the choice I’d prefer without. My 4001 was stripped when I got it, as was my former (now @UnclePsychosis :) ) 381. My ‘67 450 still has it, and although it needs a refret really and I’d almost certainly go with stripping the board at the same time, I’m quite reluctant to do it as it’s one of the few bits that’s actually still original…
    D'ya think a decent Ric fretless bass is finally an option?
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader

significantly increased cost to you and a delivery schedule that could well be 6-9 months at least - Knowing Rickenbacker on regular stock a custom order might well be 12 months or so - Can't do much about teh extra 1.5mm nut width, but probably quicker and cheaper to buy a nice used example and get the work carried out by a good luthier 

Agree with @Loobs about the idiosyncratic nature of such a guitar - Rickies don't suit me for how I play other guitars - But for simple licks, Who style power chords and arpeggio style work they are awesome - If I play a Ricky it makes me play different which is surely good as it gets me out of my box - I'm a Tom Petty fan and recently watched a live show and Tom + Mick had some Ricky or another on most songs - In fact I was a bit surprised to see so many good lead licks from Mike with various Rickies - Maybe they have had the lacquer removed and bigger frets added to assist with such styles
    tFB Trader
    If you want a 12 string with a slight wider fingerboard that has some Ricky character, the Duesenberg 12 string was excellent - Don't think they make it now but it almost had all those 'negative' Ricky features taken away - Again the Doublecat 6 can be a 'user friendly' Ricky 6 string 
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    ICBM said:
    D'ya think a decent Ric fretless bass is finally an option?
    I'd have to look again but did Chris Squire not have one - If so could be a conversion or custom order
    edited October 2021
    Offset said:
    Loobs said:
    I wanted one too, but I got one of these instead and never looked back.  You can jangle all day long.  They've gone up £300 in price since I bought mine 5 years ago mind...

Funny you should mention that because I watched Eric Haugen's excellent video on it last night (Guitar as Textural Device) and realised I should probably buy one of these instead! 

significantly increased cost to you and a delivery schedule that could well be 6-9 months at least - Knowing Rickenbacker on regular stock a custom order might well be 12 months or so - Can't do much about teh extra 1.5mm nut width, but probably quicker and cheaper to buy a nice used example and get the work carried out by a good luthier 

Agree with @Loobs about the idiosyncratic nature of such a guitar - Rickies don't suit me for how I play other guitars - But for simple licks, Who style power chords and arpeggio style work they are awesome - If I play a Ricky it makes me play different which is surely good as it gets me out of my box - I'm a Tom Petty fan and recently watched a live show and Tom + Mick had some Ricky or another on most songs - In fact I was a bit surprised to see so many good lead licks from Mike with various Rickies - Maybe they have had the lacquer removed and bigger frets added to assist with such styles
    Exactly! Makes you play a certain way!