Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NOTE: ADS ON THE FORUM (updated 26/10/21)

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    TTony said:

A formalised payment model  changes the relationship between the forum and its members.   ... 
    This drives my thinking
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4163
    Oddly I'm quite enjoying the mystery surprise of what ad I'll see next.   Currently it's a choice of new tyres or crypto currency. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Rather ironically the adverts I keep seeing are
    for ad blockers…
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The ads aren't causing me any issues, they stay where they are instead of following along as I scroll, and don't seem to be causing any issues with making pages freeze or crash, so I'm fine with them - certainly far better than many sites these days.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    OK my input.
    At home, Mac, Safari, AdBlock, Ghostery & DuckDuckGo = limited search results, but minimally tracked, ad free viewing. Nice.
    I am lifelong Facebook (oops, 'Meta') & ad-averse, but if you arent bothered, then that's cool, I'm not judging & would appreciate the same.

Just tried the mobile site for a change using iPhone & Google, no blocking apps.
     Moderately annoying reloading upper ad, with frankly weird content.
    Ansaranda deal platform, offering "fret results in donor quenching leads to fluorescence intensity"
    Alternating with 'picoquant for life science'.
    I'm flattered that the algorithm has divined from a single visit that I spent some years as a lab technician & my niece has a doctorate in biological science, but really, WTF?

So, whatever is decided regarding the future of the site, to paraprase a famous quote, I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, numbered, tracked, traced, measured & have ads pushed at me 

However, a subscription model sounds fine by me as I really appreciate the effort taken to maintain the site & I don't expect this place to run itself for free or by random donations, unless that actually works.
  • Ok, Ive seen ads for stuff I was at least vaguely interested in now so clicked through to see what happened ( during in the course of research, you understand), and unlike other links on this site where it opens in a new tab, the ads replace the fretboard.  Knowing this I can work around it but, its the most annoying thing about them so far.  

PS.  do i get commission on the commission the you are getting if I keep clicking??
    LOL at the last bit. The numbers are so tiny you wouldn't get a string, much less a pack of them D

On the new tab thing...I can see how it'd be annoying. It opens a new tab on all my browsers and devices. What are you using?
    Wow, this place moves on quick.

The new tab thing is an anomaly rather than anything else as all the embedded links in posts open in a new tab.  I'm using safari on a MacBook as my main browser.   I find the ads fine but at the same time would be happy with a subscription via patreon if thats the way you want to go.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24669
    Online gambling ads?  Really?  @digitalscream ;
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19365
    Aaah c'mon Emp, Lee has said already that he has been trying to block all such content. Hardly his fault that the forces of advertising & gambling are more practiced at getting round such efforts. Early days yet.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24669
    Apologies in that case.  I haven't read any of the threads in depth.  
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    Keep up 007
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Various aspects of the editor in Safari, iOS 15.1 now appear to be broken - the edit function doesn't work, paragraphs don't separate properly, and if you use Quote then you get HTML mode. Is this related?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Various aspects of the editor in Safari, iOS 15.1 now appear to be broken - the edit function doesn't work, paragraphs don't separate properly, and if you use Quote then you get HTML mode. Is this related?
    I don't think so - that seems to be related to the latest Safari release in 15.1. Of course, that had to happen on the same day I implemented the ads :(
    <space for hire>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited October 2021
    Yet another update, for those who are following this - I'm going to work pretty hard on this over the weekend, with the goal being:

1 - Get Patreon set up for subscriptions (and verify that this is an acceptable use case under their ToS).
    2 - Get it integrated with the forum in some way.
    3 - Add image uploads in some form for subscribers.

The aim is to allow subscriptions at a low cost (both annual and monthly), which will both remove ads and let you upload images directly into the editor. As I said before, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of people subscribing and getting nothing but what they had a week ago.

I'll also have a look at the editor problems with iOS 15.1, but I don't actually have an Apple device to even be able to reproduce it, so I'm likely to be doing it on pure guesswork. From previous experience, though, last time Apple borked this sort of thing with a botched Safari update and I fixed it with a couple of days' work, they fixed it a couple of weeks later thus wasting my entire weekend....so I'm a little loathe to spend too much time on it so soon after their release.

If I can't fix it and it's still broken with the inevitable patch release of iOS, I've got a trusted JS and Apple developer who can take a look at it (she's just not available immediately).
    <space for hire>
    edited October 2021
    I did wonder that. I just happened to get a new phone on the same day so I had no choice but to upgrade iOS straight away... I normally like to leave it a week or so since as you say, Apple seem to do this sort of thing regularly!

I’m posting this on an old iOS 12 device and the editor seems to work fine. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    edited October 2021
    ICBM said:
    I don't think so - that seems to be related to the latest Safari release in 15.1. Of course, that had to happen on the same day I implemented the ads
    Safari and 15.1 here… working the same as it’s always done for me… can’t replicate @ICBM’s issue
    poopot said:

Safari and 15.1 here… working the same as it’s always done for me… can’t replicate @ICBM’s issue
    Damn, you’re right - I’ve just updated my backup phone to 15.1 as well, and the editor is still working fine. It’s some sort of issue with the new phone then…

Ah well, it will keep me wasting too much time when I’m out and about, so it’s not all bad :).

• ICBM said:
    poopot said:

Damn, you’re right - I’ve just updated my backup phone to 15.1 as well, and the editor is still working fine. It’s some sort of issue with the new phone then…

Ah well, it will keep me wasting too much time when I’m out and about, so it’s not all bad :).
    OK, it still might want looking at. Which phone did you get?
    <space for hire>
    edited October 2021

iPhone SE 2nd generation 64GB.

Edit: fixed it. It needed JavaScript turned on. Presumably off by default now.

• TTony said:
    We’re probably all so used to seeing ads everywhere now, that we don’t (consciously) see them, adblocker or no.
    I only just saw this thread. I must fall into this category because over the last couple days I have thought "is something different?" but not been able to put my finger on it  :# =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

iPhone SE 2nd generation 64GB.

Edit: fixed it. It needed JavaScript turned on. Presumably off by default now.
    Fantastic - thanks for letting me know. I can't believe they'd deliberately turn it off...that'd break half the Internet for their customers.

Although...it's not beyond the realms of possibility for a company like Apple. "The Internet doesn't work properly, so just install an app....".
    <space for hire>