Two Rock Studio Pro Plus vs Carr Rambler

What's Hot

Comments

• The problem for me is I don't really have the extra 600 or so quid for the 50 watt version... Unless they endorse me! A man can dream.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    willrejones;323315" said:
    The problem for me is I don't really have the extra 600 or so quid for the 50 watt version... Unless they endorse me! A man can dream.
    My recommendation then is to wait until you can afford the right tool for the job....

A wrong sized screw-driver or spanner never works properly - nor does the wrong sized amp....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomer;323330" said:
    [quote="willrejones;323315"]The problem for me is I don't really have the extra 600 or so quid for the 50 watt version... Unless they endorse me! A man can dream.
    My recommendation then is to wait until you can afford the right tool for the job....

A wrong sized screw-driver or spanner never works properly - nor does the wrong sized amp....
    [/quote]

A fair point
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    Have you tried to get an endorsement? If you're playing decent sized venues and at least 100 gigs a year in them then it's easier than you think. Always worth sending an email to people. If I were you I'd stick to the hot rod deluxe until you really know what you're after, maybe try a different speaker in it for fun?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Though you are unlikely to get sponsorship from Two Rock etc you might look to a smaller UK based manufacturer and they might be happy to have you on the books. 

We make some great amps on this side of the pond!
    monquixote;323385" said:
    Though you are unlikely to get sponsorship from Two Rock etc you might look to a smaller UK based manufacturer and they might be happy to have you on the books.
    You might be surprised!

I have two friends who are Knaggs endorsees. One plays with a 'name' player's band (live and in the studio) - the other makes his living from teaching and playing (mainly) pub gigs.
    You don't get given stuff ( apart from strings ) unless you're a big name but you can often get stuff at trade plus vat.
    Two more things to add, the expansion feature was extremely difficult to use live as it didn't always sound good depending how you had the eq set. If you're into that sound I'd check out Fuchs, twice I've heard them live in biggish venues and they have been in my top 5 live tones I've ever heard.
  • koss59 said:
    You don't get given stuff ( apart from strings ) unless you're a big name but you can often get stuff at trade plus vat.
    Ah I was never expecting anything for free, just a meagre discount.
    Go for it mate, you never know :-)
  • I know this thread has gone beyond the debate between the original two, but anyone got an opinion on this? I'm right in thinking the Custom Reverb is one of the higher end models?

• I know this thread has gone beyond the debate between the original two, but anyone got an opinion on this? I'm right in thinking the Custom Reverb is one of the higher end models?

edited August 2014
    willrejones;323488" said:
    I know this thread has gone beyond the debate between the original two, but anyone got an opinion on this? I'm right in thinking the Custom Reverb is one of the higher end models?

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/two_rock_custom_reverb_50_amp_and_signature_1x12_cab_2nd_hand-yother22405.asp
    I have played one of these and found it's clean sound very 'hard' - Fender-like in tonality but without the 'give' that a Blackface Fender has - almost like a clean Marshall in terms of playing dynamics.

The drive side of things didn't strike me as anything special, compared to lower-priced Mesas.

For edge of break-up, Bad Cats/Matchless are in a different league.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    It was the edge of break-up tone of my Two Rock Jet that sold me on it. A good drive pedal into the TR clean tone is a thing of beauty. I also have a Bad Cat now. Its edge of break-up tone is awesome too, just a different Voxy-style flavour

• Though you are unlikely to get sponsorship from Two Rock etc you might look to a smaller UK based manufacturer and they might be happy to have you on the books. 

This! It's crazy how the power of USA forums (fora?) and advertising is - their builders have nothing we don't, and UK built stuff is sometimes cheaper when comparing like for like.
  • Though you are unlikely to get sponsorship from Two Rock etc you might look to a smaller UK based manufacturer and they might be happy to have you on the books. 

This! It's crazy how the power of USA forums (fora?) and advertising is - their builders have nothing we don't, and UK built stuff is sometimes cheaper when comparing like for like.
    True, my Dad has just shown me MJW amps - any comments on those?

As an aside, I've had some great recommendations here. I'm starting to think I should look a bit cheaper, if anyone has any recommendations for me?
  • Martin at mjw should be able to help ;) mjw and jpf hang around this forum and are known for being absolutely quality, as well as a useful source of wisdom for me when asking about lower priced amps and reliability issues.

Top lads, basically.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    edited August 2014
    willrejones;323488" said:
    I know this thread has gone beyond the debate between the original two, but anyone got an opinion on this? I'm right in thinking the Custom Reverb is one of the higher end models?

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/two_rock_custom_reverb_50_amp_and_signature_1x12_cab_2nd_hand-yother22405.asp
    This TR model is basically a clone of a Dumble Overdrive Special (but with added reverb). I have a similar designed clone and have to say that it's not the easiest amp to get on with. The cleans are very stiff and unforgiving. The drive sound is very "fussy" with respect to the style of the guitar. Mine sounds fantastic with a Telecaster but shite with a Strat. I'd liken it as the amp equivalent of a Formula One race car....It needs to be tweaked to guitar / playing style - tweaking often means "under the bonnet" so not for everyone in my view.

^
    I have also played the Fuchs equivalent and found it highly musical - if I were in the market for a Dumble-based amp, I would buy one in preference to the Two Rock.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2066
    I have a theory about the clean sounds on some Dumble derived designs. The amps are basically single channel with clean cascading into an overdrive stage. The amps that are "tuned" for singing overdrive often have 'high value anode resistors" around 220 K ohms. This is over twice the value used by original Fender style circuits. This leads to a specific distortion characteristic that in my view compromises the clean tone. Not all Dumble designs are like this - even within the same style of amp e g sone Overdrive Specials were made with lower Fender type values....your Fuchs may have been based on one of these. Just a theory...