Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alec Baldwin accidentally shoots woman dead on set

What's Hot

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16056
    What dosen't add up for me is he must have been pointing the gun at the woman and you don't even do that with a gun loaded wih blanks. Pointing it and puling the trigger is to be expected with another actor for a particular scene involving a gun but pointing and firing on a cinematographer? yes, it's true we don't know, but if he has been messin' around he's fucked
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    The story is that he was told it was a "cold" gun i.e. not expected to fire at all.

Given it went through two people it would suggest it was a full on live round rather than a tragic mistake with a blank.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    This isn't going to be sorted anytime soon. I imagine a lot of finger-pointing. But someone, at some point, should be held responsible. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    Hootsmon said:
    What dosen't add up for me is he must have been pointing the gun at the woman and you don't even do that with a gun loaded wih blanks. Pointing it and puling the trigger is to be expected with another actor for a particular scene involving a gun but pointing and firing on a cinematographer? yes, it's true we don't know, but if he has been messin' around he's fucked
    Have you never seen a film when someone shoots towards the camera?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited October 2021
    Why the hell do they still use real guns, surely someone could make something that looks real? 
    These days you could add the blast in after. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16056
    Hootsmon said:
    Have you never seen a film when someone shoots towards the camera?

Right!
    tae be or not tae be
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3883
    Hootsmon said:
    My guess, and it’s no more than that, is that he was handed a gun he’d been told was safe/cold and was practicing the next scene where he had to shoot it somewhere. Tragically he was given a loaded gun. 

The big question is why were there live bullets on set. But it also points to more training for anyone who handles a gun. I was taught that whenever you’re given a weapon it should’ve be unloaded (or at least without a cartridge in the chamber) but the onus is on you to ensure that this is the case, you don’t take it on trust. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6305
    Why the hell do they still use real guns, surely someone could make something that looks real? 
    My thoughts, too, but the USA is (sadly) a country where a gun is just an everyday thing to a lot of people. Even in CA.

There are tragicomically terrible videos on YT of US police officers demonstrating a gun to kids and doing an accidental discharge.

'Familiarity breeds contempt' as the saying goes.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27654
    drofluf said:
    Hootsmon said:
    My guess, and it’s no more than that, is that he was handed a gun he’d been told was safe/cold and was practicing the next scene where he had to shoot it somewhere. Tragically he was given a loaded gun. 

The big question is why were there live bullets on set. But it also points to more training for anyone who handles a gun. I was taught that whenever you’re given a weapon it should’ve be unloaded (or at least without a cartridge in the chamber) but the onus is on you to ensure that this is the case, you don’t take it on trust. 
    Yep. The top 2 rules of good gun safety:
    • Never point a gun at anything you aren't prepared to destroy
    • Treat eery gun as if it's loaded, even if you just checked & cleared it yourself.
    Get those right and almost nothing else matters. I'm guessing that doesn't work in movie making though, which is why they are supposed to have strict protocols
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7001
    drofluf said:
    Hootsmon said:

Yep. The top 2 rules of good gun safety:
    • Never point a gun at anything you aren't prepared to destroy
    • Treat eery gun as if it's loaded, even if you just checked & cleared it yourself.
    Get those right and almost nothing else matters. I'm guessing that doesn't work in movie making though, which is why they are supposed to have strict protocols
    You would not be able to make films without pointing guns at people. As you say that is impossible to do on a film set and part of why you have armourer to make safe and keep safe. Who is supposed to show you a cleared chamber before handing it over. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Usually because it is impossible to get an actor to react naturally to a fake gun firing. That's going to change obviously. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7826
    soma1975 said:
    Usually because it is impossible to get an actor to react naturally to a fake gun firing. That's going to change obviously. 
    Surely the whole point of an actor is to do exactly that! 

I actually had no idea till this story broke that real guns, loaded with blanks or live were used. I'd always assumed they were genuine stage guns.

Sadly, I suspect the whole reason for using real guns is nothing more than an extension of the USAs love affair with guns. They just don't have the required respect for them as a nation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3883
    Possibly because the fakes wouldn’t look real enough and they’d come into too much criticism? Given there are folk on here who can spot a fake Strat at a hundred paces I’d be surprised if there weren’t gun enthusiasts with similar skills. 
    edited October 2021
    soma1975 said:
    Surely the whole point of an actor is to do exactly that! 

I actually had no idea till this story broke that real guns, loaded with blanks or live were used. I'd always assumed they were genuine stage guns.

Sadly, I suspect the whole reason for using real guns is nothing more than an extension of the USAs love affair with guns. They just don't have the required respect for them as a nation.
    No that is not the whole point of an actor. The point of an actor is to help tell a story and sell a film. Anything that aids them in doing that is considered. Clearly people have tried but there is a visceral and instinctive reaction to firing a gun that is incredibly hard to fake/time for the camera. Obviously many people have tried and many people (especially low budget movies) do it with it with fakes and add stuff in post with varying degrees of success.  You won't believe some of the things Tom Cruise does in his films that could just be done against a green screen instead. 

Your last sentence is just a weird bit of America-bashing for no reason. It's the same setup over here with firearm usage in productions, and for the most part same around the world. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    A gun that doesn't contain any ammunition of any kind is just a piece of metal, it's not inherently dangerous in itself. It's safe to use real guns providing the correct procedures are followed at every stage, even if that means that sometimes a gun containing blanks is fired towards someone - but the point is that the correct procedures must be followed. Someone didn't here.

What puzzles me is why a genuine live round should be present on a movie set at all - I can't think of any reason for that. My guess is some variation of the Brandon Lee accident - the 'dummy' bullets they used weren't proper dummies made for the purpose, they were converted from real live rounds, so they still contained percussion caps and possibly some propellant residue. If that short-cut hadn't been taken there would also have been no problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited October 2021
    I fail to understand how, given the fact that people are likely to die from a gunshot wound, that the safety procedures haven’t been cast in stone for years. They should be universal, the same whatever, and rigidly adhered to.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11509
    drofluf said:
    Possibly because the fakes wouldn’t look real enough and they’d come into too much criticism? Given there are folk on here who can spot a fake Strat at a hundred paces I’d be surprised if there weren’t gun enthusiasts with similar skills. 

It's not just the blast.  It's the recoil.  The gun applies a force to your hand and makes it go backwards.  No actor would be able to fake that realistically.  The recoil from a blank won't be as much as from a real bullet but it would be enough to give it some realism.

It's likely the gun was pointed at the camera, and the woman that was killed was standing behind the camera.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    I fail to understand how, given the fact that people are likely to die from a gunshot wound, that the safety procedures haven’t been cast in stone for years. They should be universal, the same whatever, and rigidly adhered to.

They are.

Sets have armourers who comply with extremely strict protocols.

That's why things like this haven't happened for 30 years.

Something must have gone massively wrong on that set.
  • vizviz Frets: 10762
    drofluf said:

It wouldn’t really bother me if the actor held a pink piece of plastic with the word “gun” written large on it, so long as the acting were good enough. Also I’m right now struggling to think of a film without a gun in it. Why is that? Oh, Snow White, maybe. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5434
    Because people be dumb.