Your Silent Face (New Order) Instrumental cover

SnapSnap Frets: 6264

I'm trying, and failing, to get a vocal done, so for the moment it's an instrumental! Featuring the rather lovely Peter Hook signature bass too.
cheers, J
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited October 2021
    Nice! Works well as an instrumental I reckon - would love to hear the vocal version though...post it here when you're done.  I'm not heard a tonne of New Order but i recognise their sound. I remember seeing footage of one of their early gigs and being impressed with the bass player. I like how the bass guitar is used more as a lead instrument with the mono-synths occupying the low end instead.  
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    thanks mate. Oh, you need to acquaint yourself with them, you really do! And Joy Division who were a whole lot darker.

Peter Hook is one of my favourite bassists - his style is so distinctive and creative. It's worth catching any gig of his band, Peter Hook and The Light - they do the whole JD/NO back catalogue and they are brilliant. Better than New Order live.

Albums of NO I'd recommend - Power Corruption & Lies, Low Life, Brotherhood, Technique. All superb. The rest of their stuff is IMO a bit patchy.

Both Joy Division albums are stunning - Unknown Pleasures & Closer. 

the Guy Pratt, Gary Kemp podcast, Rockonteurs, episode with Peter Hook is worth a listen. He's very engaging and a cracking storyteller.
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited October 2021
    Cool I'll check those out. I am familiar with Joy Division though - proper dark stuff, love it; for some reason I never ventured into their post-JD stuff. This was the gig i was referring to. It sounds like they're totally winging it at times, yet somehow still make it work. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    The first NO album, Movement, 1981, is a real transition album. By their own admission, they didn't really know how to settle into a new band and they were all having a do at being frontman. Barney wasn't comfortable being the singer for a long time apparently.

Power Corruption & Lies is for many, the definitive New Order album. The bonus disc of the 2015 reissue of Movement is fantastic too - has all the early singles and B sides on it, all of which are superb. Tracks like Temptation, Everything's Gone Green,. Mesh, Hurt, Procession, In a Lonely Place - brilliant stuff.
    The 1987 compilation Substance is actually a good introduction to New Order. Double album. Thinking about it, that's as good a place to start as any.