Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Low gain Rat alternative

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2583
I have got into the habit of using a Rat or Rat clone in a low gain always on manner, because I like the way it cuts bass and find it easy to tweak the filter to get the right amount of brightness.

I feel this is not the 'right' way of using a Rat, so occasionally wonder about alternatives.

So what other drive pedals could I use for this purpose? It's a bit of an if it ain't broke don't fix it question, so I won't be going out to buy something boutique. Curious all the same.
The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    If it ain't broke I say.

The turbo has more headroom and a bit more level.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't know about the 'right' way to use a Rat nut it's how I use mine.
    Especially for a slightly gritty bit of slide playing.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6998
    That’s precisely how Nuno uses his RAT.  Just stick with it.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Yeah I agree with the others- I haven't tried close to every dirt pedal that's out there, but I've tried most of the classics, and I haven't really come across anything with a more effective tone control than the Rat's filter control...

That being said, I think the Timmy treble knob is kind of Rat-based? And it has a bass cut knob so you can cut bass, too. I know it's boutique but there are loads of cheapo clones out there if you just want to see what it's like...

FWIW I pretty much use my Timmy the way you use your Rat, lol.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yeah, that's how I use a rat too. Gain somewhere between just cracked open and 1/4, depending on the exact rat there's a point where they just start to saturate so you can play clean or crunchy depending on picking dynamics... and that's where the gain knob goes.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Well I'm comforted to read I'm not the only one using a Rat the wrong way! I've got an HX FX so I might see how the Timmy model on there compares. 

Tough act to follow though - Rats just seem to work with minimal tweaking no matter the guitar or amp.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    ^ Yeah that's the beauty of the rat, it's easy to set it to sound good with pretty much any amp. It's annoying how many dirt pedals sound awesome with one amp and terrible with another...

You might as well try the Timmy model if you have an HX FX. It's definitely a (fairly low gain) overdrive rather than a distortion like the Rat, but the treble knob might sort of work in a similar way...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I think it's because, other than the bass roll off and variable high end roll off, the rat isn't doing anything clever with midrange contouring or compression - it's a big open midrange at low gain, and quite dynamic, so it doesn't do anything that's going to show up an amp with a non-complimentary voicing
  • ewal said:
    I have got into the habit of using a Rat or Rat clone in a low gain always on manner, because I like the way it cuts bass and find it easy to tweak the filter to get the right amount of brightness.

I feel this is not the 'right' way of using a Rat, so occasionally wonder about alternatives.

So what other drive pedals could I use for this purpose? It's a bit of an if it ain't broke don't fix it question, so I won't be going out to buy something boutique. Curious all the same.
    It's totally the right way to use a Rat and why you have folk like Graham Coxon and Bernard Butler with pedalboards in the past who had multiple Rats set at different gain levels. 

So that answers my next question - what drive to use after the always on Rat for higher gain sounds? Stacked Rats - good song title.
    I've used various drives over the years, most recently an EQD Plumes - don't think I've ever tried two Rats though.
  • ewal said:

It's totally the right way to use a Rat and why you have folk like Graham Coxon and Bernard Butler with pedalboards in the past who had multiple Rats set at different gain levels. 
    Let’s not forget ira kaplan!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've used a Timmy clone (Caline Pure Sky) to do a similar thing, and currently that place is taken up by either a Peacekeeper or a Fredric Regent 150 - they seem to sharpen the tone, somehow (when I turn them off it sounds blurry and out of focus). It's not exactly the same as a Rat with the drive right down (which is more similar to a Fuzz-Face-with-the-guitar-volume-down clean), but a similar idea. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    The 1981 DRV pedal is based on a Rat I think if you just want something shiny and new. They sound a bit too cleaned up and refined for me though. It's like a "nice" sounding Rat if that makes sense.

For stacking, a tubescreamer works great into a Rat.

I also really like Klon style pedals as an always on boost, the Soul Food works great for this and cleans up better than a Rat if you like to play with your guitar volume control.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited October 2021
    The @ThorpyFX ;;Warthog is phenomenally good, does the low gain thing beautifully as well as all the higher gain Rattyness, even as a clean boost it’s great, one of the best, most versatile dirt pedals on the market. I have a stock Rat2 as well, which is always good: never be without a Rat  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:

I use my RAT for low gain sounds as well, but if I want to dial it in I use a low gain overdrive before, like a DOD 250 clone which only has 2 knobs, vol and gain, and put the vol up max and find the sweet spot with the gain.

I imagine something like a TC Spark doing the same role would do the same thing really well.
  • @JamesSGBrown I didn't know Ira used Rats, listening to him right now, must be a sign to get myself a Rat or 2...
    I've been listening to Yo La Tengo a fair bit recently too - definitely a good guitar tone benchmark. Them, The Besnard Lakes and The New Year have been recent references.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    They always say you're never more than two feet from a Rat. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You said nothing boutique but the 1981 DRV is perfect for this. You can get hold of clones cheaper. Love mine. I did have another one for sale but it’s gone now.