Edit: Sine Effect's GigaPara EQ.

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
edited December 2023 in FX
Made in Glasgow, looks quality, but don't hear much about it.

Anyone got experience of it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1120
    Not seen that, but interested. I imagine it would be handy for acoustic guitar pickups. 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited October 2021
    Not seen that, but interested. I imagine it would be handy for acoustic guitar pickups. 

I'm thinking it might be handy as a bit of a tonesculpter in the FX loop of my amps.

Or in front. Don't Have any EQ pedals and it looks like an interesting one. It's not trying to be a clever interpretation of what a particular builder thinks you need, its just a straight up old school 3 band parametric.

Also says "based on professional rack technology". I always have the hope that someone has done something Furman PQ3-ish in a pedal.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    I wanna have a go! I really like the use of parametric eqs for setting up soundsystems, I could really see a use for it with a guitar amp. Why not tune amp to the room and isolate some nasty resonance? And if you don't want that it looks like you could use it an alternative to speaker emulation. Does it have hi and lo pass filters on it?????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rich210 said:
    I wanna have a go! I really like the use of parametric eqs for setting up soundsystems, I could really see a use for it with a guitar amp. Why not tune amp to the room and isolate some nasty resonance? And if you don't want that it looks like you could use it an alternative to speaker emulation. Does it have hi and lo pass filters on it?????

Not independent, the 1st and 3rd bands have an option for a shelving filter or peak
  • personalnadirpersonalnadir Frets: 358
    edited October 2021
    The blurb ‘ Designed for simplicity... Its sleek geometry and material combinations creates a modern look.’ does not match what I see in the photo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The blurb ‘ Designed for simplicity... Its sleek geometry and material combinations creates a modern look.’ does not match what I see in the photo
    I think it is pretty simple for the kind of pedal it is. Compare it the WMD para eq:

https://wmdevices.com/products/utility-parametric-eq

You can see that the MegaPara is better thought out and more user friendly. I think once you've got your head around messing with Q values and trying the different shelving options you've got a fantastic pedal that you can make your own for your needs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I quite like the design of it. Looks like they used to make one in a gold colour which looked a bit more fancy (comes up in a Google image search). I like this one though, looks easy to understand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    As far as its look, I do think it looks contemporary with a bit of retro flavour to it with the colours and types of knobs.

But that's not so much the thing I'm focusing on.

I also agree that it looks easier to work with than the WMD unit. I'm all for "use your ears" but no labelling with regard to frequency position at all?
    It looks like it has the frequency labelled on there though? You can see it better in the second picture down, has some writing around the frequency knobs. 
    edited October 2021
    It looks like it has the frequency labelled on there though? You can see it better in the second picture down, has some writing around the frequency knobs. 

The WMD? Let me go back and check.

Edit: I cant see any. The MP definitely does
    tekbow said:

Ah yeah we're talking at cross purposes, thought you meant the sine effects one. I'm definitely interested in it, be keen to hear if anyone has one. 
    tekbow said:

Ah yeah we're talking at cross purposes, thought you meant the sine effects one. I'm definitely interested in it, be keen to hear if anyone has one. 

If I YT them, this guy is the latest vid, but not many other vids.

Which doesn't Tell me much about the pedal without a before and after.

I see it mentioned a lot on German guitar forums and less frequently on English speaking bass forums, but little to nothing on English speaking guitar forums.

Providing it has the headroom, I've an eye on it or something like it for the loop of my SLO for some low end tightening. And maybe some other precise tweaking.

I'm also thinking i would be interested in it as  front end boost. The Furman unit (and I'm not saying this is related) plus other rack parmrtrics In general have been used to boost amps for metal very successfully.

tekbow said:
    tekbow said:

I see it mentioned a lot on German guitar forums and less frequently on English speaking bass forums, but little to nothing on English speaking guitar forums.

Providing it has the headroom, I've an eye on it or something like it for the loop of my SLO for some low end tightening. And maybe some other precise tweaking.

I'm also thinking i would be interested in it as  front end boost. The Furman unit (and I'm not saying this is related) plus other rack parmrtrics In general have been used to boost amps for metal very successfully.

Yeah if it's high headroom and low noise that would be the thing. I was thinking of a totally different use - maybe put it in the effects loop of a fishnan aura spectrum preamp for acoustic guitar. Be good for general eq, or could switch it on for a different sound (say, changing between fingerpicking and hard strumming). 
    tekbow said:
    tekbow said:

Yeah if it's high headroom and low noise that would be the thing. I was thinking of a totally different use - maybe put it in the effects loop of a fishnan aura spectrum preamp for acoustic guitar. Be good for general eq, or could switch it on for a different sound (say, changing between fingerpicking and hard strumming). 

EQ pedals seem so versatile, I don't get why they're not used more commonly over OD Pedals and boosts.

This one seems placed at a great price point too.
    It's true, they really do give you a lot of options. Maybe not as easy for people to get excited about compared to some other pedals. I've had a boss ge7 and the mxr graphic eq, not had a parametric EQ in a pedal though. 
    It's true, they really do give you a lot of options. Maybe not as easy for people to get excited about compared to some other pedals. I've had a boss ge7 and the mxr graphic eq, not had a parametric EQ in a pedal though. 

I've never had any, but been very interested recently because of the aforementioned use of ParaEQs hard rock and heavy metal boost duties.

And my subsequent research into the topic seems to indicate many are of the opinion that 3 bands of fully controllable parametric is more useful/powerful/versatile than a 6 or 10 band GEQ.
    I think I'm gonna order one once I've sold a couple of bits. Looks like a lot fun
    Rich210 said:
    I think I'm gonna order one once I've sold a couple of bits. Looks like a lot fun

I'm thinking the same
    tekbow said:

I've never had any, but been very interested recently because of the aforementioned use of ParaEQs hard rock and heavy metal boost duties.

And my subsequent research into the topic seems to indicate many are of the opinion that 3 bands of fully controllable parametric is more useful/powerful/versatile than a 6 or 10 band GEQ.
    Yes, I think that's right. Graphic eq can be handy on stage because you can 'see' the shape of your eq curve. But being able to control the Q as well as the frequency means it can do much more than just the fixed values. 
    I think there is utility in both. For example my 5F1 wouldn't be without a 10 band EQ, especially just to get rid of a lot of bottom end and get a really tidy sound out. I think the parametric would come in use after then.