Online guitar tutors?

What's Hot
Has anyone had any good experiences with online guitar tutors?
Have you found them effective and are there any you would particularly recommend (or avoid) ?

I'm frustrated that I don't feel like I'm making any progress and could use some help in identifying/ correcting problems and having some focus on what to practice and how to approach it.

An online tutor appeals from a convenience standpoint but I'm interested to hear if others have found it to be effective. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    edited October 2021
    I'm not sure what kind of tutor your looking for . Justinguita is probably the best online course , especially  if your a  beginner. Most beginners try to progress too fast  and don't developed the basic skills first . I’m certain  anybody starting his course from  the  beginning and  working through it can learn  to play a guitar .  Once you have  done that  and you still want more , it would be time to fined a good guitar teacher. 
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 138
    Are you looking for an online course (series of pre recorded lessons) or 1 to 1 delivered on line ?

As a 'returning' guitarist I like Brian Kelly, www.zombieguitar.com. No nonsense style (I find Justin and Paul Davids a 'over familiar' ) Loads of lessons I could cherry pick and it meant I could get up to speed on the theory side quickly.
    He's also doing 1-2-1  (send him video of your self for advice etc. ) on Patreon now (although I havent tried that yet).
    He also makes a massive amount of stuff available for free on his site and on Youtube so you can see if you like it before signing up for the site or patreon but when I got my membership it was half the price of a Paul Davids course

Ian
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    It's more 1 on 1 I'm after rather than a pre- defined course so I can get specific pointers for how/what I can improve. The problem with predefined courses is the lack of feedback. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    edited October 2021
    I've had 1-2-1 lessons in person with Geoff Lea in Southampton, because I live just round the corner from him. But the bulk of his teaching is via Skype or Zoom. Have a chat with him. (No affiliation) See https://www.geoffleaguitarist.co.uk/
  • I had some one to one lessons online, they were useful but unfortunately I had to stop as the cost is much higher than a one-off payment or subscription based online course, and at the moment money is a little tight.

I think that in-person lessons would be better than online, but even via zoom or skype, having someone listen to you and offer feedback is something that online courses are lacking (although Fender Play is introducing their Feedback mode, which listens to your playing and gives you a score and visualisation of your note and tempo accuracy, which seems to work pretty well).
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    There’s a few guitar teachers on here that do online lessons I think, your could do a thread on how you progress.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I've been doing online lessons for 18 months now and it's been a learning curve for me as well as my students. I've been through every hardware and software troubleshooting issue but like to think I've got a good setup now. They won't be as good or replace the quality of an in-person lesson but we're in 2021 and tech has advanced a lot you can do most things with a smartphone or computer now. Also it saves time and money on travel which appeals to a lot of my students. A couple are actually staying remote for the time being despite me reopening the teaching room.

A YouTube video can't talk back and give you feedback on your playing, whereas I can see and hear what you're playing and give advice and even correct anything I see that's not right. I've taught a learner who I've never met before in real life from scratch and he can play 30 songs. This isn't an accident. So it depends on the quality of the teacher and how good they can communicate the concept, regardless of whether they're behind a screen or in front of you in the room.
  • I am really enjoying Chris Sherland's youtube channel. He is Marty Schwartz former guitar teacher and he has a great manner and makes you think a lot more about your playing. A lot of his channel is a bit beyond me at the moment but he is good at breaking things down so its not as difficult as it seems.
  • Depends on what style you want to learn.  I took a lesson with Bruce Bouillet and it was great.  He is a good teacher and taught me lots of licks - no tabs though.  He chatted about technique and the old Racer X days.

I signed up to an online chord melody course, which took place via live Zoom meetings every week for six weeks I think.  It was absolutely terrible.  

I would probably go for one to one and just pay as you go for lessons, don't sign up to a six or eight week course etc.  If you don't like the teacher then at least you can change quite easily, instead of being locked into lessons that you've paid for and you don't like the teacher.  
  • How about TrueFire.com?

They have flash sales where some courses are reduced to US5.00, and these are not Black Friday deals - they just do it all the time.

But thanks also for the links to other online tutors. I am leaning towards those as well, not that the TrueFire courses are "bad", but as already mentioned, a person watching and listening can give instant pointers to what adjustments need to be made in the techniques.