Reading Practice

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
A Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0876390114/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XYHMVVTS2E6MN8QCCRAD

Best reading practice text I've come across, and the best way for learning all the notes on the guitar by rote. Will keep you busy for years. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thanks @Greatape ;

Arriving today!

Si
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
    Thanks @Greatape ;

Arriving today!

Si
    NP
  • Greatape said:
    A Modern Method for Guitar: Volumes 1, 2, 3 Complete https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0876390114/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XYHMVVTS2E6MN8QCCRAD

Best reading practice text I've come across, and the best way for learning all the notes on the guitar by rote. Will keep you busy for years. 
    Too true. I was started on them by my guitar teacher some years ago. I do like the little duets, which, certainly in Book 1 (as far as i've gone so far) have a bit of classical sound to them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Greatape said:

As an intermediate classical / Fingerstyle guitarist, will I find these of interest e.g. vol2 and 3 ?
    sev112 said:
    Greatape said:

As an intermediate classical / Fingerstyle guitarist, will I find these of interest e.g. vol2 and 3 ?
    It's more geared towards pickstyle (not stylistically) but it will build your knowledge along the neck. Covers all keys (I believe, I need to check the later volume), reading chords, subdivisions etc. The different minor scales. I'm redoing vol 1 before moving onto vol 2. It's the Berkeley workbook, I believe.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Greatape said:

Thanks, saw it going on eBay will give it a go
  • Leavitt has some other books dedicated purely to reading. Once the Modern Method gets you started these are actually better purely for reading practice. The most valuable is Melodic Rhythms For Guitar (which as you'd expect focuses on rhythm), but there's also Reading Studies for Guitar and Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar, which concentrate on getting you sight-reading in position.  Advanced Reading Studies is a slight misnomer, the main difference between the two books is that one deals with positons 1-7 and the next the positions further up the neck - other than that the material isn't significantly more advanced.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Leavitt has some other books dedicated purely to reading. Once the Modern Method gets you started these are actually better purely for reading practice. The most valuable is Melodic Rhythms For Guitar (which as you'd expect focuses on rhythm), but there's also Reading Studies for Guitar and Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar, which concentrate on getting you sight-reading in position.  Advanced Reading Studies is a slight misnomer, the main difference between the two books is that one deals with positons 1-7 and the next the positions further up the neck - other than that the material isn't significantly more advanced.
    Ooh, good to know
  • Greatape said:

It doesn't mess around. Was expecting a sleepy introduction, a bit of a life story, a personal philosophy etc etc (as is the way with all content these days it seems).

Instead it was BAM! straight into the first exercise and right back to feeling like I'm 7 at my first keyboard lessons.

Will endeavour to persist with it, as have wanted to use my classical guitar more, and it's about time I finally nailed reading music for playing guitar.
    Greatape said:

It doesn't mess around. Was expecting a sleepy introduction, a bit of a life story, a personal philosophy etc etc (as is the way with all content these days it seems).

Instead it was BAM! straight into the first exercise and right back to feeling like I'm 7 at my first keyboard lessons.

Will endeavour to persist with it, as have wanted to use my classical guitar more, and it's about time I finally nailed reading music for playing guitar.
    Yep!

I try and do a page or two a day. So not overwhelmed but making progress.

• It’s quite a nice thing to work through. I’m singing the notes at the same time to try to help them bed in 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    My one objection to his method is that occasionally, he starts pushing pattern recognition of single note sequences. But that's probably a compromise to get it accepted by whatever exam board. No value in reading scales in scale order.