Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Power chords with the little finger ?

What's Hot
Watching Eric Clapton live on Sky Arts last night shows he's yet another big name guitarist who plays power (or root/fifth/octave if you prefer) chords with first finger on the root and the little finger barring the 5th and octave.
I've never understood using the little finger rather than 3rd (stronger) finger here? I can only figure it's due to convenience (or indeed laziness?!!

(I do however subscribe to using the thumb over neck first position F chord (barring top 2 string with first finger) - the Springsteen grip as I call it - so so comfortable / satisfying !).
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAce said:
    Watching Eric Clapton live on Sky Arts last night shows he's yet another big name guitarist who plays power (or root/fifth/octave if you prefer) chords with first finger on the root and the little finger barring the 5th and octave.
    I've never understood using the little finger rather than 3rd (stronger) finger here? I can only figure it's due to convenience (or indeed laziness?!!

(I do however subscribe to using the thumb over neck first position F chord (barring top 2 string with first finger) - the Springsteen grip as I call it - so so comfortable / satisfying !).
    I use third and pinky for the 5th and octave, barring both seems bonkers to me - barring both with my pinky seems physically impossible! You can bet your bum I'll be trying it when I get home though :-D

I'm not sure what you mean about the Springsteen grip?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to pick up a guitar to answer this. Turns out I'm actually very happy using first & third or first & pinky for "A shape" barre chords. I'll use either depending where I'm going next and which shape helps me get there more easily - it's all about efficiency. 

I've always heard the "springsteen grip" referred to as the "Hendrix thumb-over"... Nothing wrong with it - I use that more often than a trad barre. Again it's all about context and efficiency.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited November 2021
    Yes, I've always used my little finger for power chords, it's how I taught myself and seems easier for me, though I do these days often first and third more, mixing it up with the pinkie. I used to worry it was the wrong technique but having noticed it used by a few guitarists, it no longer troubles me. 

Look at how Kurt Cobain barres the chord on the A string with his third finger, I find that so uncomfortable, it feels a big stretch for my small hand and it shifts down your whole arm to get underneath the neck. Learning to play Nirvana is how I learnt to play, but not like that! I can barre the lot with my pinky though, without having to lower my arm so low. 

• TanninTannin Frets: 5433
    I habitually play powerchords in the usual way (index, ring and little) but I barr with the little finger if I'm doing something else further down the neck with the other fingers (i.e., walking bass stuff). I used to think barring with the little finger was  far too difficult, now I find it's remarkably easy. Yes, I have been practicing more these last few years but the night and day difference is nevertheless hard to explain. Perhaps it's just a knack.

• Whatever works…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I power chord with my 1sy and pinky all the time.   I don't have a big span stretch so it's bone ergonomics why

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5162
    Yep, me too! Little finger for A shape and E shaped (root & 5th) Barre chords. I can use my 3rd finger but it’s not so comfy 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Either/or depending on context
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    i often bar the 5th and octave with the pinky, it's an easier reach for small hands and helps keep the thumb in a comfortable place
  • Whatever works…

pretty much this

people have different sized hands and different length fingers, even the ratio of sizes differs.

so there's that, 

then there's what chord you came from and what chord you're going to, while we may have a favourite way to fret a chord, that goes out the window when chord transitions and timing demand a rethink.

Little fingers are useful and worth keeping strong for the occasions they're needed :) IMO  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    It’s one of those occasions when I had to pick up a guitar to find out when I do it and when i don’t.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to learn to do this after dislocating my third finger made it a bit wacky. Turns out to be a very versatile way of playing the chord. I play octaves this way too (e.g. 3X5XXX)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited November 2021
    roberty said:
    Same here.

My default is to use my pinky to barre a power chord, unless I'm doing something like a stretchy 'Status Quo type' finger bounce with my pinky in which case I'll use my 3rd finger.

I often use my pinky instead of my 3rd finger. My hand sometimes feels more relaxed using my pinky. Maybe it's something to do with being left handed and playing right handed in my case.

I believe Robben Ford often uses his pinky in preference to his 3rd finger for general playing.

It's not a competition.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I learnt to play when my fingers were really small so used my pinky for instead of my third finger for extra reach. So I can use it for pretty much anything now, inc power chords 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1333
    roberty said:
    Same here.

My default is to use my pinky to barre a power chord, unless I'm doing something like a stretchy 'Status Quo type' finger bounce with my pinky in which case I'll use my 3rd finger.

I often use my pinky instead of my 3rd finger. My hand sometimes feels more relaxed using my pinky. Maybe it's something to do with being left handed and playing right handed in my case.

I believe Robben Ford often uses his pinky in preference to his 3rd finger for general playing.

If I'm doing the Chuck Berry / Quo boogie  thing - then I ALWAYS fret the 5th with second finger - allowing the little finger to do the 6ths/7ths.

One of the joys of guitar is that there's not the same degree of orthodoxy regarding technique as there is in say piano.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Right, I've given this a go, and while it didn't work very well in terms of actually playing anything, I could get surprisingly clear chords with a bit of time to settle my fingers. I also tried it with my ring finger (I have fairly large hands so the stretch isn't an issue), and that also worked quite well. It will take a lot of work, but as my three finger power chords are a bit ropey anyway (particularly when moving root notes across strings), I'll hopefully be able to get back up to speed.

Barring the 5th and octave with my ring finger will also help with the A shape barre chord.

Great stuff!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2021
    For power chords I usually just play the root and 5th with my first and third fingers. I like to keep the pinky free for other notes, including the octave. 
    I'll usually mute the other strings with thumb, or first, and third finger.
    Often I'll hammer on the 5th, and the first finger is used to barre all the notes under it if needed.
  • I usually play this way unless I need the pinky for something else coming up. I originally started out diong it as a way to strenthen my pinky but just kinda stuck with it. I can do it the other way quite happily but naturally gravitate to using the pinky. 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    We rehearsed today, and I had a ringside seat watching my fingers fret power chords. I still don’t know how I decide which fingers to use. The choice happens subconsciously. I did notice that, where left hand muting is needed for staccato notes I use index and third. Index and fourth seems to be used more when my left hand wants a rest.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    my 3rd finger joint won't bend back, so have always used little finger for this