Modding a RGX A2,wiring help needed

I own one of these guitars,and i really like it.
Has a really nice spanky tone,great for Rock,funk,or country.
So heres the thing,it has a vol knob and a three way rotary knob, which is a real pain tbh
Underneath these knobs there are LEDs
The Vol is constant blue,while the 3 way p/up selector changes colour depending on the pickup selected.
What i want to do in have a volume,and L paul style 3 way toggle and drill an extra ressessed hole for a tone knob.
But id like to put static led colours under each control.
As i dont think it would be possible to have some led change colour every time i select a different pickup...would it !
If not id be happy to have a static colour under evert control.
https://i.imgur.com/p2OXcWD.png
https://imgur.com/a/tt9xvmc
https://i.imgur.com/qMqJaqV.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/MDaW3hW.jpeg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    I recall @Bridgehouse modding a bass guitar from the same series. I forget what he did about the LED feature.

The barrel output jack restricts what you can squeeze into the control cavity. I suggest volume and tone pots in the cavity and, then, the selector switch somewhere else.

The PP3 compartment is the obvious location for a lever-type switch. Wherever you choose, it will be necessary to measure the cavity depths to deduce what might be accommodated.

For simple neck/both/bridge selections, a DP3T on/on/on switch should suffice. If the DiMarzio DLX type pickups have 4-conductor + shield output cable, you could extract more tonal options via a five-way superswitch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Im going to loose the barrel jack,and drill out the current hole,and use a jackplate instead.
    That way,i can gain at least an inch
    Also going to use CTS/Bourns mini pots
    A short 3 way toggle will fit depth wise
    I want an electronics expert to tell me if its possible to attach coloured LEDs under the
    Controls,im sure it would be,but i have no idea how to go about it.
    Doing the switch,tone control,and jack should be straight forward its the lights that have got me foxed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    You'll need to take the controls out and see how the LEDs are fitted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17493
    I rewired one some years ago but can't really remember what was going on.

I ditched the LED's altogether.  I think  it was only a simple circuit, but not one that looked easy to mod.

I think the controls were mounted on some plastic cups, which I repainted a solid colour.

The body is essentially balsa wood with a more solid wood capping front and back.   It's very easy to cut into that soft core, also easy to mess it up

Think I added a couple of mini switches to split the pickups.  It was very versatile once that was done.

Then it eventually got a kaos pad fitted

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Yeah - I ditched the LEDs on mine - just too complicated to rewire for what they provided..
  • @Bridgehouse ;Have you added anything to the guitar,like a tone pot,Series/parallel, coil tap ?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    @Bridgehouse ;Have you added anything to the guitar,like a tone pot,Series/parallel, coil tap ?
    It was quite a while ago now, and the bass circuit was very different iirc but no - nothing added