Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Question for the mods re pictures

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28248
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Trude said:
    As a viewer on Android, Imgur is bloody annoying. You just end up with a bunch of individual links that you have to click through, 
    Incorrect @Trude ;

If Imgur images are inserted here *correctly*, then they show correctly on any device, Android/Chrome included (I just checked).
    Incorrect or not, the vast majority of classified posts on this site come up with a dozen links that have to be clicked one by one for me. Using Safari on iPhone. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1495
    edited November 2021
    TTony said:
    Trude said:
    As a viewer on Android, Imgur is bloody annoying. You just end up with a bunch of individual links that you have to click through, 
    Incorrect or not, the vast majority of classified posts on this site come up with a dozen links that have to be clicked one by one for me. Using Safari on iPhone. 

Can you see an image of text above this?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2021
    TTony said:
    That took me to embedded images of a Peavey Bandit, but in a thread with loads of other pics in it

The final post from 9th Sept is another Imgur link

Trading feedback here
    photek said:
    TTony said:
    Trude said:

Yes, I see it 

Trading feedback here
  • photek said:
    TTony said:
    Trude said:

I can, and I can see them on the one FS ad I’ve put up so I guess I did it correctly, but I can’t go an edit other people’s posts so it still affects me
    Trude said:
    That took me to embedded images of a Peavey Bandit, but in a thread with loads of other pics in it

The final post from 9th Sept is another Imgur link
    You saw the pics of the Bandit because the poster *correctly* embedded pics from Imgur.

You saw links in the post on 9th Sept because that poster didn't embed the pics correctly.

It's not the fault of Imgur, it's not even the fault of the forum's software platform, it's the fault of the  person making the post.    If it bugs you, tag them and tell them you can't see the images ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @TTony Not everyone is particularly technical, and it’s perfectly reasonable to think that if you’ve posted an ad on a desktop browser and the photos appear, you have put the photos in correctly. The demographic of the forum tends to include members who haven’t necessarily grown up breathing technology.

I’d argue that if the images appear properly on the Full Site and not on the mobile site, then the forum software has a discrepancy in the implementation of the full and mobile sites. 
    edited November 2021
    Not everyone is particularly technical, 
    That's why there are some simple, step-by-step guides on how to use the various image hosting sites to post pics into threads here @therealting ;;

and it’s perfectly reasonable to think that if you’ve posted an ad on a desktop browser and the photos appear, you have put the photos in correctly. 

Indeed and that's tripped up a few people in the past.   In that situation, the problem is usually that the browser that the poster is using is loading the image from a local cache, not from the host site that's been linked. 

But that's not the issue being discussed here.

I’d argue that if the images appear properly on the Full Site and not on the mobile site, then the forum software has a discrepancy in the implementation of the full and mobile sites. 

This isn't an issue of full site vs mobile site functionality.  This is an issue of correctly-embedded vs incorrectly-linked photos. 
  • therealtingtherealting Frets: 54
    edited November 2021
    @TTony But the photos on those posts load fine for me when I view on Full Site, then revert to a stream of links when I return to Mobile Site. It’s not really a cache mode in that instance. 

If a poster sees the photos on their computer, it is probably because they are viewing it in Full Site mode.

Yes, I am aware that there is a way to link photos “correctly” so that I can see them, but as a new member I don’t feel like I can crap on someone’s thread to tell them that they’ve posted the photos wrong. It doesn’t feel like a helpful conversation with someone from whom I might want to make a deal either now or in future. 

It would just be nice if the forum software automatically linked photos the same on Mobile and Full Site modes. That’s all. 

• Yes, I am aware that there is a way to link photos “correctly” so that I can see them, but as a new member I don’t feel like I can crap on someone’s thread to tell them that they’ve posted the photos wrong. It doesn’t feel like a helpful conversation with someone from whom I might want to make a deal either now or in future.
    Fair point - but the seller has a better chance of a sale if they don't make potential buyers click on numerous links to view what they're trying to sell.

It would just be nice if the forum software automatically linked photos the same on Mobile and Full Site modes. That’s all. 
    But it does.  If you post them correctly. :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • therealtingtherealting Frets: 54
    edited November 2021
    @Jonathangus It would actually be more helpful if it didn’t post any sort of picture at all in any mode if it was posted incorrectly, because then people would know that it is wrong. Positive feedback on “doing it wrong” doesn’t help people realise that it’s supposedly wrong. We can be as pedantic as we like about people using the wrong way, but if it appears to work for them then as far as they’re concerned it is the right way to do it.

Guitarists aren’t known for being conformist. If something appears to be working for them, they tend not to question it. Even bad habits can become ingrained if they’re getting the results we want. 

Anyway, I think I’ve said my piece here. I’d rather be helpful than “right”.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    wish Id never bloody asked now....................................... =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertie said:
    wish Id never bloody asked now....................................... =)
    I’m glad you said something, as I thought it was just me who was viewing things wrong. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13585
    Roland said:
    Is it your imgur account which is over capacity? I had no difficulty loading images this evening.
    no mate, Im actually trying to set up a new user -  I dont use any online storage,  just my piccywiccys on Facialbook
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7961
    Here we go again - posting pics here is far more of a faff than any other forum - but the Tourette’s-like response is to just say that users should try harder. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Imgur does the over capacity thing to me occasionally. Just rights itself. I have no idea wether it’s a problem with imgur or a problem with me but it does seem to go away by itself eventually. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11657
    For those who suggested Facebook, not everyone will see them.  Firefox puts Facebook in a container which stops it from tracking you around the web.  The downside of that is that pictures posted there won't be visible.  Not seeing your pictures is a sacrifice I am happy to make to stop Facebook tracking me.

Use Imgur.