Soldering Irons - TS100?

What's Hot
Anyone got one of these? I need a new iron as my old trusty Weller is knackered. I like the compact formfactor and temp control without having a chunky solder station. I've seen this recommended by a bunch of people but not guitar folks as far as I can see. I generally need it for a few pedals a year and the occasional bit of guitar rewiring. I'd certainly consider another amp build in future but it's not critical to a decision on a soldering iron.

What say ye, forum wisdom?

https://hackaday.com/2017/07/24/review-ts100-soldering-iron/
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Seems neat, might be a good shout for me. I do rather wish it came with a power supply... 
  • I've seen them sold as kits that come with PSUs and extra tips etc, so that should be an easy solution. They also do a different version that runs off USB-C, though I think that only goes up to 30W, whereas this one can do short-term 65W which is definitely more than I need.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    You can run that iron from a laptop supply or similar but you would be better off making a nice flexible cable for it. 

What's up with your Weller ? they are generally pretty easy to fix 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    You can run that iron from a laptop supply or similar but you would be better off making a nice flexible cable for it. 

Yeah, I like the flexibility on power options and the ability to easily change the cable. 

The Weller is eating tips to the point the thread is starting to get corroded. I've always assumed it's because the voltage in AD is a little higher than the UK so it gets a bit overheated. In any case I want something temp-controlled and will keep the weller as backup
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Danny1969 said:

Yeah, I like the flexibility on power options and the ability to easily change the cable. 

The Weller is eating tips to the point the thread is starting to get corroded. I've always assumed it's because the voltage in AD is a little higher than the UK so it gets a bit overheated. In any case I want something temp-controlled and will keep the weller as backup

What type of Weller is it? If it's one of the Magnastat types overheating is caused by a faulty magnetic sensor/switch . Simple to fix, though later models to need a soldering iron to repair them!!

Be sure to regularly loosen the tip nut otherwise they corrode and need to be sawn off, replacements are easy to get.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    edited November 2021
    hywelg said:
    Danny1969 said:

What type of Weller is it? If it's one of the Magnastat types overheating is caused by a faulty magnetic sensor/switch . Simple to fix, though later models to need a soldering iron to repair them!!

Be sure to regularly loosen the tip nut otherwise they corrode and need to be sawn off, replacements are easy to get.

Nothing that fancy, just a boggo one I got for about 20 quid a loooong time ago (SP25 maybe?). 

There is also (obviously) and element of wanting a new toy to make my life easier because I've run out of tips and have at least 6 pretty pedal enclosures that need circuits to go in them :) 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    A soldering iron with USB firmware update - bloomin' 'eck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I use a TS100 as my repair kit iron for drones, works great from a 6S battery (about 24V). Takes a while to warm up on a 4S battery (about 16V). 
    With a suitable PSU and fat tip I think it would be up to doing the back of pots.
  • My TS100 is my go to soldering iron, I absolutely love it.  If you are soldering 40hrs a week it may not cut it, but for hobbyists I love it.  You can run it of a 5s or 6s LiPo, or with some minor modding you can use a dewalt/makita/etc power tool battery, but it really shines if you give it the full 24V supply.  For just over £100 I got the original minware version from AliExpress with an aluminium flight case, all 9 tips, ceramic stand, flexi silicon wire with xt60 connector for LiPo, and a UK 24V power brick with extra long silicon cable.  The flight case is very nice, having all the tips is a bit overkill, there's only 3 I consistently use.  The specially made power brick is the best accessory as I've not seen anywhere else offer it.  One of the worst downsides of the TS100 is if you have to use it with a laptop power brick with those horrible thick, inflexible cables.  The stand is also rubbish, but the iron has a sleep mode cool down and is pretty cool to touch at the base of the tip so not too dangerous just left on the bench.  I recommend installing the Ralim Firmware mod, it gives more menu options on the iron and extends the temperature you can use it to up to 450C.
  • @stickyfiddle did you get a new iron? I'm jonesing to build a pedal, and thinking of grabbing one of these... The one I found seems too good to be true though. 
  • @stickyfiddle did you get a new iron? I'm jonesing to build a pedal, and thinking of grabbing one of these... The one I found seems too good to be true though. 
    Not yet - been too busy with work to even think about it tbh! 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Well I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. It arrived today and it seems like a really neat little thing. I got a package with a PSU and a couple of extra tips. My hope is the temp control will mean it doesn't eat through tips like my old Weller. We'll see once I've built a couple of pedals with it. 

Overall package via amazon. I have another cable with the proper plug on it. The iron itself is in that tiny box - it's really dinky! 

And in hand. Lightweight but feels sturdy. And it will be a little heavier once it's got a cable attached. Further thoughts to follow once I've used it a bit.