SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Vintage 1965 Gibson Melody Maker, Rare Custom Colour ‘Ember Red’ W/sound clip PRICE DROP £1650!

What's Hot
jumping@shadowsjumping@shadows Frets: 1279
edited November 2021 in Guitars £
Hi all, up for sale is a super cool and extremely rare custom colour ‘Ember Red’ early ‘65 Gibson Melody Maker, in great shape, playing great and sounding awesome!

https://youtu.be/Wm_sO2johHA

I’ve always loved Melody Makers, as they capture so much of what makes vintage Gibson’s so compelling, but at a more affordable price point. 
This one has a big 64 SG neck profile, wide pre ‘65 nut, all nickel parts, and save aged replacement Klusons, fully stock- plus the original finish is so rare, I didn’t even know Melody Makers came in it! 
This one sounds like a ‘50s Jnr- fat, sassy and punchy, with added Esquire-like twang and stringiness, all controlled from the twin knobs.

Price is now ***£1650*** including a decent condition ‘50s faux croc skin LP Jnr case which is worth a couple hundred quid in itself!

Please PM for more pics and any questions and I’m happy to ship anywhere, pro packed and tracked.

Thanks for reading, J@S.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24713
    Nice!  I've got one of similar vintage but in ordinary faded cherry, and no Maestro. :)
    I haven't seen this colour before, very cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Nice!  I've got one of similar vintage but in ordinary faded cherry, and no Maestro. :)
    I haven't seen this colour before, very cool.
    Thanks man! I’ve seen this colour on maybe two vintage Firebirds online, but never on a MM, so it’s definitely rare! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12750
    Its hard to tell from the pics here but it looked like Cherry to me from here - whats the difference between Cherry and this?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

This looks to me like a solid colour, on my cherry one (which has faded to the usual orangey red) there's lots of wood grain visible.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12750
    Philly_Q said:
    This looks to me like a solid colour, on my cherry one (which has faded to the usual orangey red) there's lots of wood grain visible.
    Thats what I thought - but my old Melody Maker was "solid cherry" (much more battered than this example) and a friend has one that is definitely the same... as a result I thought all MMs of that age were a solid colour. Happy to be wrong, though!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• This is absolutely a solid colour, with no grain visible or faded cherry finish of the traditional SG style Melody Maker finish- it’s a deep fire engine Red, and much darker than the more commonly seen Cardinal Red- super rare, and I didn’t even know they did it on these!

Weighs under 6lbs and is super resonant, no doubt thanks to the wraptail bridge and big neck, and sounds legitimately great I think :)

I’m going to drop the price to £2k shipped with the ‘50s case to move this along, as I’ve just bought two more guitars I couldn’t pass on..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gonna bump this with a price drop to £1350 with a modern hard shell case- killer deal on a rare wide neck custom colour Gibson! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 987
    Gonna bump this with a price drop to £1350 with a modern hard shell case- killer deal on a rare wide neck custom colour Gibson! 
    @jumping@shadows did you mean £1350 or £1650?
  • AlbertC said:
    Gonna bump this with a price drop to £1350 with a modern hard shell case- killer deal on a rare wide neck custom colour Gibson! 
    @jumping@shadows did you mean £1350 or £1650?
    Not a typo no- I’d sell for £1350 plus shipping with a modern hard case 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 459
    And sold - looking forward to it arriving!
  • Well bugger me down dead - how did I miss that price drop? A very good buy.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15019
    Philly_Q said:
    I've got one of similar vintage but in ordinary faded cherry.
    So do I. :)

My '65 has the short Vibrola but, like the OP, I removed it in the interests of tuning stability. Deep neck :+1: but narrow nut width. :-1:  The original card case offers no protection whatsoever.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Philly_Q said:
    I've got one of similar vintage but in ordinary faded cherry.
    So do I. :)

My '65 has the short Vibrola but, like the OP, I removed it in the interests of tuning stability. Deep neck :+1: but narrow nut width. :-1:  The original card case offers no protection whatsoever.
    Mine just has the wraparound bridge, it never had a Vibrola (no three holes).  The neck is that shallow at the first fret, chunky at the twelfth kind of profile.  I don't think it's narrow at the nut but I wouldn't really mind if it was.   

I don't think anything's original apart from the neck, body, scratchplate and pickup - maybe some screws - but on the other hand it hasn't had any neck breaks, routing or holes drilled in it.  I assume the finish is original but I'm not expert enough to tell one way or the other.