Very basic AMP repair and mod help

What's Hot
So I've bought (very cheaply) an Orange Crush 15r, the power switch is stuck (in the off position) so thats a relatively easy fix. Its also got a hardwired power cable which I'm not a fan off. So i plan to fit a panel mount IEC socket like this https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/iec-connectors/0488191 ( to save clicking, that one is 10a 250v, panel mount with 2 screws)
  I've built pedals, done some rudimentary home wiring so i'm fairly confident but I was always told to ask someone who may know better before doing anything you are even 1% uncertain about. So to allay any nagging doubts I may have, are there any pitfalls to my plan? 
  I did think of fitting a jack output to run the amp to my cab but I'll prob not do that (unless I find a switched socket on RS somewhere)

ta in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    All the photos I can find of a Crush 15R show an IEC socket, not a hardwired mains cable. Has it already been bodged?

A switched speaker jack is a very easy mod, just make sure you use a plastic-bodied jack so it doesn't short to the chassis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    doesnt look bodged, there's no hole for a previous IEC socket anywhere on the amp, all the orange amps that have an IEC its usually on the white metal near the switch, this cable is coming out of the corner of the cabinet, bottom right. I'll take some photos tomorrow

Ah, OK - I finally found one. It looks like a very old version.

There’s no reason you can’t fit an IEC socket. I would be inclined to go through the wood rather than the metal back panel - much easier to cut. If you make a neat tight job of the hole and screw it firmly to the wood it will be safe. You should in theory have it PAT tested, but if you know what you’re doing there’s no real risk.

You could also fit a speaker jack through the wood but you’ll need to cut a bigger hole and put a jack plate over it, the panel will be too thick for it without one. If you can drill the metal it’s probably easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    ICBM's comment is to the point. The only way I know to correctly and neatly fit sockets is to buy a hole cutter and they're very expensive unless you're doing a lot.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    I fitted the mains socket using a dremel type cutter and just took my time, look and works fine( got the shop PAT tester to check it out as well) , didnt bother with the jack out as I decided its my work practice amp for now.
    spev11 said:
    I fitted the mains socket using a dremel type cutter and just took my time, look and works fine( got the shop PAT tester to check it out as well)
    Excellent! Well done :).