Quad Cortex - has anybody cloned/replaced their pedalboard with it?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• sjo89sjo89 Frets: 183
    sjo89 said:
    JohnCordy said:
    @sjo89 it can't do a convincing job of Fuzz, or pedals that have clean signal blended (like Tubescreamer and so on)...

It also can't have more than one pedal assigned to a footswitch in stomp mode, so there are some fairly significant limitations at the moment.

What is actually on your board out of interest?
    ive a strymon riverside, nano big muff, mxr super badass variac fuzz, a timmy clone and a bogner ecstasy red mini. 
    Why so much drive?
    Seems a really, non-complicated board, I don't get why you would digitise that unless you have a monsterously heavy amp
    All those drives sound very different, plus you can never have enough drives ;)

I've done a couple of gigs lately with my band, including a festival, and its apparent the nature of these gigs is very much get on and off stage as soon as possible - all those pedals need to have their knobs dialed back in - ive got an external expression pedal too, then ive got to spend time messing with the house amp etc. etc. theres a lot of patch cables to go wrong potentially (in fact our singer had a big cable fail mid set other day and we had awkward on stage faffing with the tech getting it sorted for over 5 mins)

So whilst i love my board and pedals, reliability, consistency and practicality and speed of setup are becoming serious considerations.

Issue is ive never been impressed with the inbuilt drive pedals in modellers that ive played and two of my pedals are quite niche and specific so tough to replicate in a modeller IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 574
    Although it doesn’t officially capture fuzz pedals yet I’ve had pretty decent success with captures of the Benson Germanium Fuzz and the SM Fuzz in this video: https://youtu.be/hosHMI31-NA

I’ve also made some 1983 TS9 and T-Rex Alberta captures that are scarily close to the real thing. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 466
    sjo89 said:
    sjo89 said:
    JohnCordy said:
    @sjo89 it can't do a convincing job of Fuzz, or pedals that have clean signal blended (like Tubescreamer and so on)...

It also can't have more than one pedal assigned to a footswitch in stomp mode, so there are some fairly significant limitations at the moment.

ive a strymon riverside, nano big muff, mxr super badass variac fuzz, a timmy clone and a bogner ecstasy red mini. 
    Why so much drive?
    Seems a really, non-complicated board, I don't get why you would digitise that unless you have a monsterously heavy amp

I've done a couple of gigs lately with my band, including a festival, and its apparent the nature of these gigs is very much get on and off stage as soon as possible - all those pedals need to have their knobs dialed back in - ive got an external expression pedal too, then ive got to spend time messing with the house amp etc. etc. theres a lot of patch cables to go wrong potentially (in fact our singer had a big cable fail mid set other day and we had awkward on stage faffing with the tech getting it sorted for over 5 mins)

So whilst i love my board and pedals, reliability, consistency and practicality and speed of setup are becoming serious considerations.

Issue is ive never been impressed with the inbuilt drive pedals in modellers that ive played and two of my pedals are quite niche and specific so tough to replicate in a modeller IMO.
    You can't find an amp on the HX Stomp that would work with your drive pedals? 
    Jota said:
    sjo89 said:
    sjo89 said:
    JohnCordy said:

Why so much drive?

but thats not the point - the point is i want to have those drive pedals or sounds close to them on the modeller - the drive pedal selection on the stomp doesnt yet fulfill all my needs
  • JotaJota Frets: 466
    edited November 2021
    sjo89 said:
    Jota said:
    sjo89 said:
    sjo89 said:
    JohnCordy said:

Why so much drive?
    All those drives sound very different, plus you can never have enough drives

but thats not the point - the point is i want to have those drive pedals or sounds close to them on the modeller - the drive pedal selection on the stomp doesnt yet fulfill all my needs
    I get that but, you could keep your pedals and just add the Stomp to the pedalboard for the amps!
    Been doing that for a few years and, although it's not the same as real amps, setting up my stuff in 5 minutes makes it worth for me. 
    Jota said:
    sjo89 said:
    Jota said:
    sjo89 said:
    sjo89 said:
    JohnCordy said:

Why so much drive?
    All those drives sound very different, plus you can never have enough drives

I get that but, you could keep your pedals and just add the Stomp to the pedalboard for the amps!
    Been doing that for a few years and, although it's not the same as real amps, setting up my stuff in 5 minutes makes it worth for me. 
    Well its more the simplification and reduction aspect the QC would bring tbh. Having it all in one neat little package. If I wanted to keep using my pedals i would probably just use something like an Iridium to go direct - the whole point for me is losing the pedals and with that, the risk of dodgy patch cables and having to keep resetting all the knobs every gig etc.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 470
    Is the ability to capture pedals the main reason you're looking at the QC?

The Fractal FM3 and newer FM9 have dozens, possibly hundreds, of overdrive and fuzz pedals modelled and they sound very very good. The amp models are also excellent and you'd be able to recreate at least the Bogner sound very well simply by using a modelled Bogner.

The larger FM9 looks very gig friendly with the number of assignable footswitches it has.

Plus Fractals support is excellent and it is much more of a known entity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    CFH said:

The Fractal FM3 and newer FM9 have dozens, possibly hundreds, of overdrive and fuzz pedals modelled and they sound very very good. The amp models are also excellent and you'd be able to recreate at least the Bogner sound very well simply by using a modelled Bogner.

The larger FM9 looks very gig friendly with the number of assignable footswitches it has.

Its definitely a big reason, but also the form factor, UI, ease of use all appeal to me, a lot more than the fractal which I think would be more product than I really need. The amp modelling is not my primary reason for wanting - what I want is something that can sound convincing direct into the front of an amp.

But I might do a bit of a deep dive into the FM9 - all I know is that on the surface it didnt appeal to me as much as the QC. thanks 
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 69
    Cor 1.3.0 OS released, including new looper with over 4 minutes record time 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CFH said:

I bypass all Fractals products as they don't sell them in the UK,  i think you have to import one at an extra cost ,   That is just to much messing around for me and if it breaks down you can't just send it back to a local shop .