Telecaster build

What's Hot
I've been having a hankering to try a Telecaster with a humbucker in the neck recently, and then whilst idly browsing guitarbooboo, I came across this for £46, felt a bit of a project coming on and couldn't help myself!

I'm not 100% sure on what the spec will be yet but I'm hoping posting this thread will keep me honest and stop me from neglecting it!

:) 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool looking guitar. I think I'd be tempted to embrace the knots, especially in the horn, and go for a "rustic" kind of finish.

With that said, the rest actually looks pretty good so maybe that won't be needed. Following with interest! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    My backup is very similar, in black walnut, ( same supplier ), I just oiled it and live with the imperfections.
    JB junior in bridge and a Mighty Mite Motherbucker in the neck, sounds immense, but have a push pull coil split to get some weaker tones.
  • So, working on this body has taught me a lot. Mainly about patience and how I don't really have enough of it to finish a guitar body well, lol.

There are definitely spots on the body where I should have put more effort into sanding, but thought I could mask it with the finish (I could not), and a couple of areas where I got impatient with the nitro and caused drips, which then ended up looking worse when I tried to sort them.

The finish by the way, was with Northwest Guitars spray cans, which I was pretty happy with and could definitely do an amazing job in the hands of someone more experienced.

Nevertheless, rather than sanding it all back and starting again (there's that impatience lol), I decided to crack on and leave the imperfections as a testament to how much I'll improve next time. :)

Anyway, here's a pic. This is just me placing the hardware to make sure it all fits. I still need to do a final sand and polish on the body at some point this week, then I'll assemble and set up, and hopefully have it finished by Christmas!

Despite my best efforts, I do think it's going to turn out looking pretty cool.  :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    looking good!
    what was the paint name? looks remarkably close to the Old English White nitro (rover, MG etc) I've been using from an automotive supplier. 
  • Sarge said:
    looking good!
    what was the paint name? looks remarkably close to the Old English White nitro (rover, MG etc) I've been using from an automotive supplier. 
    Thanks!

It's Olympic White from Northwest Guitars - https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/olympic-white-nitrocellulose-guitar-paint-lacquer-400ml-1/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    This reminds me that I have a stripped G&L Tribute ASAT Classic body in need of refinishing. 

Automotive paint sounds like a good idea. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.