Aggravation

What's Hot
paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
edited November 2021 in FX
So you get an hour to yourself to start reassembling your board and manage firstly to knock one of the midi sockets off on your mod dwarf:

Then secondly you find your not very expensive Mooer E7 won't take power from your very expensive Zuma power supply.

The midi socket – I must have knocked the trs to din dongle causing it pop off, bit of a design flaw. I'm onto customer support and luckily one of the local guitar techs here is a former electric engineer and can do fine soldering if needed.

The Mooer thing is weird but I found someone on reddit had the same problem with a pedal from the same series so it seems to be a thing. It'll power from a wall wart PSU, a Mooer macro and voodoo labs digital without issue but there's something about the Zuma it doesn't like (or vice versa).

I need the Zuma's 500ma per output for other pedals so will have to squeeze a PSU in somewhere just for the Mooer.

Edit: worst case scenario if the dwarf isn't repairable I can run midi in and out via a usb host.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Very odd regarding the Mooer! Could it be to do with the digital switching it uses to isolate the power supplies Vs using taps off a transformer like Voodoo Labs and other more common stuff. I gather it's relatively new tech, no idea why the Mooer would care though??
  • Very odd regarding the Mooer! Could it be to do with the digital switching it uses to isolate the power supplies Vs using taps off a transformer like Voodoo Labs and other more common stuff. I gather it's relatively new tech, no idea why the Mooer would care though??
    Could be, beyond my limited understanding of electronics TBH. The Mooer macro and voodoo labs digital are, I assume, old school power bricks so that makes sense.

The Mooer does do a little click and lights up very briefly when plugged into the Zuma.

The Zuma's been great otherwise and powered all my hungry digital pedals without issue. So I'm tempted to ditch the Mooer unless I can find an inexpensive, low hassle work around.

Looking earlier I wondered if something like the Joyo JP-06W might work inline? But they're unobtainium in the UK seemingly.

• Transforms a charger, power bank or computer USB port into a power supply for effect pedals
    • Provision of stable voltage for effect pedals or other devices
    • Isolated input
    • Input voltage: 5 - 9 V DC
    • Output voltage: 9 V DC
    • Maximum output current: 400 mA

Other option is something like the ripcord USB to 9v as I have usb power on the board already.

• @paganskins I was curious about this, and found that someone on reddit had a similar issue, and that their Mooer worked when plugged into the 5th output of their Zuma (but not any of the other outputs).

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/q8qnkj/strymon_zuma_powerbank_wont_power_my_mooer_a7/

Hope that helps!
  • cathodyne said:
    @paganskins I was curious about this, and found that someone on reddit had a similar issue, and that their Mooer worked when plugged into the 5th output of their Zuma (but not any of the other outputs).

https://www.reddit.com/r/guitarpedals/comments/q8qnkj/strymon_zuma_powerbank_wont_power_my_mooer_a7/

Hope that helps!
    Yes I saw that too but unfortunately no luck with the e7. It’s gone back and was just able to accommodate a source audio c4 so that’s back ordered and due early dec. 

In other news found a local outfit which do fine electronic repair (domestic and industrial) who are repairing the mod dwarf. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3605
    Very odd regarding the Mooer! Could it be to do with the digital switching it uses to isolate the power supplies Vs using taps off a transformer like Voodoo Labs and other more common stuff. I gather it's relatively new tech, no idea why the Mooer would care though??
    Could be, beyond my limited understanding of electronics TBH. The Mooer macro and voodoo labs digital are, I assume, old school power bricks so that makes sense.

The Mooer does do a little click and lights up very briefly when plugged into the Zuma.

The Zuma's been great otherwise and powered all my hungry digital pedals without issue. So I'm tempted to ditch the Mooer unless I can find an inexpensive, low hassle work around.

Looking earlier I wondered if something like the Joyo JP-06W might work inline? But they're unobtainium in the UK seemingly.

• Transforms a charger, power bank or computer USB port into a power supply for effect pedals
    • Provision of stable voltage for effect pedals or other devices
    • Isolated input
    • Input voltage: 5 - 9 V DC
    • Output voltage: 9 V DC
    • Maximum output current: 400 mA

Other option is something like the ripcord USB to 9v as I have usb power on the board already.

About £11 delivered on Aliexpress
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 254
    Greatape said:

About £11 delivered on Aliexpress
    Maybe I'm a cynic, but I'm not sure I'd trust Aliexpress to supply a genuine Joyo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom