Sting Interview on Rick Beato's channel

What's Hot

Comments

• Has he got a new album or a book out or something? He was on Radio 5 this afternoon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Has he got a new album or a book out or something? He was on Radio 5 this afternoon.
    Forthcoming album gets mentioned. 

I’m most of the way through the video and I’d struggle to say that as piece of entertainment I’d recommend it to anyone but if you like Sting or more specifically his body of work it’s a reasonably smart interview. It’s fairly non technical, so if you see songwriting in metaphors you might like it. Sting looks damn good for his age. Dominic Miller does contribute although even sat around a table he’s very much the side guy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    I heard him om the radio yesterday and he mentioned that he's 70 (considerably older than either of his parents lived to) and I thought "Jesus that is OLD".   But I don't think of him as old.  I guess we're all heading there.                   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    His new album is tantric. It's only 50 minutes long but it seems to go on for hours and hours. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    I heard him om the radio yesterday and he mentioned that he's 70 (considerably older than either of his parents lived to) and I thought "Jesus that is OLD".   But I don't think of him as old.  I guess we're all heading there.                   
    He does not look 70. I think I look older than him now. 
    I just have to convince MrsTheWeary that tantric sex is the way to keep young looking…
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm confident I look younger than him but there's no sex, tantric or otherwise, involved... Isn't tantric sex lying around for hours sort of thinking about it but not doing anything?  Doesn't sound too difficult.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited November 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    He does not look 70. I think I look older than him now. 
    I just have to convince MrsTheWeary that tantric sex is the way to keep young looking…
    I suppose it depends on which way you look at 'it' 
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 603
    edited November 2021
    I watched the first few minutes last night and it looked like they all felt very awkward... hope they loosen up later on in the video! It must be embarrassing when the interviewer says they're a huge fan and piles heaps of praise on the interviewee.
  • Switch625 said:
    I watched the first few minutes last night and it looked like they all felt very awkward... hope they loosen up later on in the video! It must be embarrassing when the interviewer says they're a huge fan and piles heaps of praise on the interviewee.
    …oh yes I’d hate that…  :^o
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited November 2021
    Switch625 said:
    It loosens up a bit - but not a lot. Sting has never been a good interview subject based on things I’ve seen in the past but given Beato’s enthusiasm for his music and his depth of musical knowledge, I thought he might get more out of Gordon than he did.

My assumption was that Sting would have agreed to take part as he must really like Beato and what he does. It certainly didn’t come across this way. He seemed overly serious, unwilling to engage in ‘muso talk’ and as distant and pretentious as he always has been. I’m not sure Beato will be that pleased with the end product.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited November 2021
    As somebody who is also quite distant and can few quite pretentious if given the stage to do so, I very much enjoyed that...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1559
    Rick Beato certainly gets access to some heavyweight names - in the past few months he's met up with Joni Mitchell  and Pat Metheny.

To be honest I wouldn't know where to begin asking Sting about his career, song writing, bass playing , singing, recording etc..

Let's just hope Beato didn't ask Sting what gauge strings he used on his bass (I'm just kidding Andy)!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016
    I thought it was a great interview but it was certainly an interview built around a musical knowledge between the 3 of them. If your not interested in the theory of music or the process of song writing it wouldn't be very interesting. This is what makes it so great for me, questions and answers you wouldn't get on a mainstream TV show. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Great interview.

It's not a competition.
  • Danny1969 said:
    I thought it was a great interview but it was certainly an interview built around a musical knowledge between the 3 of them. If your not interested in the theory of music or the process of song writing it wouldn't be very interesting. This is what makes it so great for me, questions and answers you wouldn't get on a mainstream TV show. 
    Yes, compare with the BBC Breakfast interview with Damon Albarn recently...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    I thought Dominic Miller looked close to tears 
    tone1 said:
    I thought Dominic Miller looked close to tears 
    Yeah, he looks like they're holding his wife and kids hostage just out of view.... but I think it's probably just the way his face looks.

Beato looks oddly boyish next to the two of them.

Well, I gave it a listen... fairly interesting but I don't think Mr Sting is someone I'd want to hang out with.  Not that that's likely, obviously.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    I'm confident I look younger than him but there's no sex, tantric or otherwise, involved... Isn't tantric sex lying around for hours sort of thinking about it but not doing anything?  Doesn't sound too difficult.
    Sounds like most of my days 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Remember Sting on “the smell of reeves & Mortimer “ he seems like a really good egg 
      His biography and autobiography whatever are compelling reads as is Andy Summers