How many people gig with 1x12 combos?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
I am in that phase where I am thinking about down-sizing my rig...I'm not gigging that much and I keep tripping over cabs and stuff in the garage, the space under the bed is full of pedals and guitars etc.

I used to gig with a fairly compact 1x12 combo (H&K Statesman Quad) but then I moved to using various heads and a 2x12. The 2x12 does give a fuller sound but a 1x12 is really enough for most purposes.

I bought my kids a 3/4 sized strat at the weekend and so they would have something to play through I pulled my old H&K Edition Blue 60 combo out of the attic. I had a bit of a blast with it last night and I was really surprised how good it sounded. I have gigged with it in the past and had good comments about the sound.

It just made me think - a fairly inexpensive 1x12 combo is probably all I need.

Might sell some stuff. :)

Just some rambling throughts, really... :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826

I'm sure a 1x12 combo is probably the most common of all setups for a guitarist.

I've used lots of 1x12 combos over the years for gigging. Ranging from a Marshall VS100 to a Vox AC15 and most recently a Peavey 6505+ .

I can think of many 1x12's that would be perfect for gigging ranging from a s/h Peavey Bandit right up to a nice hand wired cornell.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • All I've got is a Peavey Classic 30 and that covers everything I need it to. It's cheap, cheerful, the clean channel is flipping loud, takes pedals well and if you're really precious about tone, there are some easy mods that can be done to tart it up.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    A 112 as long as you can hear it on stage.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    Bogner Shiva 1x12....has enough volume to shake the windows out if needed, but visually (to the unsuspecting landlord) it "looks" quiet..

I used to gig with a JTM 45 1/2 stack and was playing at far lower volume levels and used to get asked to turn down, just because the thing "looked" loud....

For the average pub/club gig 1x12 is more than enough provided its a loud enough 1x12...

In saying all of this, I currently have GAS for another 1/2 stack....
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited August 2014
    Use both a head & 1x12 cab and as backup a Fender HRD with Celestion speaker - works grand for the blues / rock covers we do (mic-ed that is). 

Also means I can squeeze my gear into drummist's car - win win!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    I did for several years - mostly with a Mesa DC-5. It was never not loud enough, and it usually sounded great. The only times it didn't where when it was on a very large open stage a couple of times, then it just seemed to get quite boxy-sounding even though it was mic'ed - it seemed to need something behind it. The 2x12" I have now doesn't suffer from that.

If I didn't think I needed to fill a big stage it wouldn't bother me either way. I've gigged plenty of times with even smaller than 1x12"s and been fine in small places too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

Here's my 1 x 12" rig, very inexpensive but sounds great

I know the normal consensus is to have a 30 watt amp or more and speaker behind you raised up behind you but I don't believe in that. 
    I like a low powered amp on the floor as low as poss, mic'ed up and then I use in ear monitors if I need to hear more of it. If you gig a lot you can't fight volume with volume or you will end up deaf ...  or the very least hearing impaired. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Never gigged with a 1x12 but used them at rehearsals.. I'm not sure if it's just psychological, but they never seem to sound good to me, always sound small and weedy.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    edited August 2014
    Here's mine - the EV12L in the Zilla (Mini Modern) cab sounds huge - never boxy http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k405/citizen68/275C97CB-330B-4CBB-9BFE-10DCA1FAB8C4.jpg
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014

If you mic up anyway it shouldn't sound small through the PA, mine always sounds pretty cool to me through the PA. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 156
    tFB Trader
    I am in that phase where I am thinking about down-sizing my rig...I'm not gigging that much and I keep tripping over cabs and stuff in the garage, the space under the bed is full of pedals and guitars etc.

I used to gig with a fairly compact 1x12 combo (H&K Statesman Quad) but then I moved to using various heads and a 2x12. The 2x12 does give a fuller sound but a 1x12 is really enough for most purposes.

I bought my kids a 3/4 sized strat at the weekend and so they would have something to play through I pulled my old H&K Edition Blue 60 combo out of the attic. I had a bit of a blast with it last night and I was really surprised how good it sounded. I have gigged with it in the past and had good comments about the sound.

H&K Statesman Quad EL84 was my gig-rig when I was in the covers/ party band also man. Really great amp.

Danny1969 said:

If you mic up anyway it shouldn't sound small through the PA, mine always sounds pretty cool to me through the PA. 
    That's what I thought, until it did...

Of course, there's also the possibility that it had *always* sounded small through the PA, and I just didn't notice because it sounded full on stage, until I heard it with that taken away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I have a Suhr Badger 30 and 1x12, so not strictly a combo, but essentially the same thing. I haven't gigged it yet, but am heading in that direction and there's nothing yet to make me think it won't do the job. Adding the mic to PA option is also something I'll be happy to consider.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 898
    Adji said:

H&K Statesman Quad EL84 was my gig-rig when I was in the covers/ party band also man. Really great amp.
    I know! Now, why did I sell that again...?

D'oh!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    I've used a Laney World Series 1×12 120W as my main gigging amp for over 20 years. Used a Peavey Triumph 120W valve amp as well for a while but it proved unreliable. If I've got room I supplement the Laney with a ZT Lunch box & cab to provide a bit more spread / fold back.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I intend on gigging with my 1x12 peavey, I think the uninformed may be frightened by the amount of volume I can generate!
  • I've been using a Fender hrd for a good while now with a couple of pedals for dirty sounds and it has plenty of volume on tap. When its mic'd, its only for spread really.

Always fancied a mesa express though.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    With a decent amp volume isn't an issue but unless it's a gig where I'm trapped in one spot I can find a 1x12 a bit directional and hard to be heard across the stage/room.   Going through the PA helps but I'd rather take a 2x12 unless space is really tight.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32394
    Apart from one band where I go direct via a modeller my preference for years has been open-backed 4x12s.

However, I have a 40 minute rhythm guitar gig on Friday so I'm taking my 68 Custom Princeton, 12 watts 1x10" ftw!
    timmysoft said:

I intend on gigging with my 1x12 peavey, I think the uninformed may be frightened by the amount of volume I can generate!
    I read that as "uniformed" :).

Someone in the next street may call them, anyway... ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom