How many people gig with 1x12 combos?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    @Fuzzdog I'm also using a Rebel 30 but it's the 212 for the extra spread. Do you find the 1W mode makes any difference whatsoever, even at gig volumes?
    It's pretty subtle, to be honest - I just find it adds a certain degree of 'squish' to the amp rather than affect the output level too much, unless you're really cranking it.  More of a 'feel control' really - I really like it, even though it doesn't do what I thought it would do when I bought the amp!

I normally end up cranking the watts up full, dialling in my sound and getting a rough volume level, then backing the power level off until things start to feel satisfyingly bouncy with a nice bit of power tube compression.  Really helps to give that cranked amp feel even when it's not pushing that much air.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    Regularly gig my Cornford Roadhouse 30 combo and the 1x12 sound is more than good enough for about 90% of the venue I play. I do mic up but this is just to try and keep the backline at a sensible level. Just taken delivery of a Lazy J20 and it will be getting gigged too ;)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Jalapeno said:
    I prefer a 2x12 or better still 2x10 for the spread.

---------------------------------

Interesting Jalapeno - was wondering why you felt that a 2x10 gives more spread than a 2x12? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • bigjon said:
    E.G. IIRC correctly there is no overdrive on this song from an outdoor gig, and the Laney is the only amp used as I forgot the power lead for the lunchbox!

Bloody hell I had to struggle to work out what guitar that was as it looked so small!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    bigjon said:
    E.G. IIRC correctly there is no overdrive on this song from an outdoor gig, and the Laney is the only amp used as I forgot the power lead for the lunchbox!

Bloody hell I had to struggle to work out what guitar that was as it looked so small!
    It's a Patrick Eggle New York Standard. If I take that, my Steinberger, & the Lunchbox amp to a gig, I can get to the gig & back on my bike! And have a spare guitar if I snap a string!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't think anyone needs anything more than a 1x12, it's more what you want. I've found I've got to a point where I trust our FOH to tell me what sounds good, regardless of what I think or not. At the end of the day, it's what sounds best in the mix, not what sounds best to you onstage! All I can hear is what comes through my in-ear monitors which is never going to be the same.