Drive Pedal Shootout

What's Hot
AdjiAdji Frets: 146
in FX tFB Trader
Quick and dirty shootout between several drive pedals which I am auditioning for the new rig. These are:
Fulltone '70
Irontone Cranked Combo
Bob Burt Clean Boost
Valvette Custom Drive
Xotic BB Preamp MB
Bob Burt Overdrive

Nothing scientific about this, just my favourite settings(ish) for each pedals and seeing how they are working within the rig.

Comments

• See this is why I love this forum. It's like Giitar and effects university.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    um... completely OT, but you're looking good Adam!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    Good shootout. 

Wasn't familiar with Bob Burt stuff. 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited August 2014
    Smart man - don't dial them in to be similar, play them to their strengths and see what you like best. Love it :D

It amazes me how many demos focus on two pedals having the same settings or dialled in to sound as similar as possible to see which is better! 

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    Smart man - don't dial them in to be similar, play them to their strengths and see what you like best. Love it :D

It amazes me how many demos focus on two pedals having the same settings or dialled in to sound as similar as possible to see which is better! 

Ideally I'd like to see both. 

Thing is, for me there are there are two different questions, one is "What is the difference between this pedal and that pedal?" (more/less gain, brighter/darker, mid-hump/"transparent") and the other is "What does this pedal do really well?" and if you want to form a view of how a particular pedal is going to work for you in your rig for what you play I think it's helpful to have a comparison with a known reference as well as the "dialled in to a tone" demo.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 146
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    um... completely OT, but you're looking good Adam!
    Haha thanks bro! Havent been training for a few weeks, need to get back into it!

Thanks everyone, glad its useful.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    cool video but if I may say, a clean sound doesn't have reverb and delay on it. This is more of a pet peeve on my behalf though

please don't let me detract you from doing more of the same, my hat is off to you for taking the time out and putting the effort in. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17943
    tFB Trader
    cool video but if I may say, a clean sound doesn't have reverb and delay on it. This is more of a pet peeve on my behalf though

please don't let me detract you from doing more of the same, my hat is off to you for taking the time out and putting the effort in. 
    I think in this case it's a specific "which should go in my rig" video so I guess the other rig components need to be included.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 146
    tFB Trader
    Monquixote is absolutely right mate. This is all part of my new rig building project / process so I was dmeoing the pedals as I will be intending to use them. I can do full demos at some other point.

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1398
    Adam I love all your videos. Just something about your down to earth approach and nature that s really interesting to watch. I'm not even a shred dude but your channel is one of the best I subscribe to for interesting, applicable and USEFUL demos and advice. Thanks
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Adji said:
    Monquixote is absolutely right mate. This is all part of my new rig building project / process so I was dmeoing the pedals as I will be intending to use them. I can do full demos at some other point.
    fair enough bud. I am a lazy reader and I saw the word shootout and came in with my size 9s :-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.