Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

An Audience With Adele - how live?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    On the subject of Adele, I read that she'd got Spotify to remove the shuffle tracks option from albums, but it still seems to be there... was it just on her own albums?
    Yes, if you open an album up, the big green play button no longer has a shuffle icon and will just play the tracks in order. It has changed for all albums.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13674
    ...It seems as soon as an artist becomes mainstream, people (musicians in particular) form some kind of dislike towards them.
    Cough... Jealousy... Cough.

I saw a video online the other day, Coldplay playing "Fix You" live with Ed Sheeran, the crowd went nuts, they were loving it.  The same combo... Fretboard kryptonite.  However, punters loved it, do musicians make music for themselves or to entertain the public?  Certainly few do the latter better than Coldplay, Ed or Adele.

Certainly won't get paid for the former, though many think they should.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24991
    Philly_Q said:
    On the subject of Adele, I read that she'd got Spotify to remove the shuffle tracks option from albums, but it still seems to be there... was it just on her own albums?
    Yes, if you open an album up, the big green play button no longer has a shuffle icon and will just play the tracks in order. It has changed for all albums.
    But once you've got a track playing, there's still a shuffle icon on the left which I assume shuffles the whole album  (I mostly use Spotify on my TV, with the Roku, no doubt it's different on a phone).
  • ...It seems as soon as an artist becomes mainstream, people (musicians in particular) form some kind of dislike towards them.
    Cough... Jealousy... Cough.

I saw a video online the other day, Coldplay playing "Fix You" live with Ed Sheeran, the crowd went nuts, they were loving it.  The same combo... Fretboard kryptonite.  However, punters loved it, do musicians make music for themselves or to entertain the public?  Certainly few do the latter better than Coldplay, Ed or Adele.

Certainly won't get paid for the former, though many think they should.
    I tell you what, the cynics have obviously never been in a festival at 10pm when the loud bit of Viva La Vida kicks in. 

I don't like the pop band Coldplay have become but they know how to give a crowd a good evening.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes just as an option in her album(s) - you can if you want but it’s not automatic I think
  • It doesn't mean we have to like it though, but also we don't need to be nasty about it (I don't think I was in my comment).

I've recently started trying to get piano playing gigs for weddings and events and stuff like that. I've effectively had to market myself as playing the popular stuff that I actually don't like in the slightest but that's what gets you the gigs. I can smash out learning one of those modern piano plinky plonk things in about half an hour and everybody is like "omg that music is so good", or i can slave away practising Liszt etudes for months on end for one person to hear it and say "oh yeah that's... Something".

I know what I'd prefer to be doing, but I know what makes money. Doesn't mean the plinky plonk that makes money is better though.
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • Philly_Q said:
    Colin Murray just played a three-minute compilation of snippets from all the tracks on 30.  Now I never need to listen to it.
    Did it sound like a one 3 min song?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    sev112 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yes just as an option in her album(s) - you can if you want but it’s not automatic I think
    It’s now the default for any albums. It’s probably Spotify and Adelle trying to grab a bit more public attention for a change that has been asked for for a long while.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Philly_Q said:
    Colin Murray just played a three-minute compilation of snippets from all the tracks on 30.  Now I never need to listen to it.
    Did it sound like a one 3 min song?
    More like two one-and-a-half minute songs, I'd say.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    But once you've got a track playing, there's still a shuffle icon on the left which I assume shuffles the whole album  (I mostly use Spotify on my TV, with the Roku, no doubt it's different on a phone).
    That's right, it doesn't stop you shuffling an album at all, it just isn't the default setting when you hit the big green play button any more.

Ah, might be different on Roku or a smart TV, but it has definitely changed on the android/iOS app.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 273
    She's probably earned more this week than then entire membership of this forum combined, so she must be doing something right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5101
    As customers, folks are entitled to their opinions about the music.
    If I said I'd bought a KFC and it wasn't very nice, would folks get all uppity and defensive about it?
    edited November 2021
    prowla said:
    If I said I'd bought a KFC and it wasn't very nice, would folks get all uppity and defensive about it?
    I'd say you were jealous of Colonel Sanders' cooking skills, secret recipe and business acumen, obviously.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:
    Have you tried the Chrsitmas Gravy Box Meal?  It may well change your religion.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader

I've recently started trying to get piano playing gigs for weddings and events and stuff like that. I've effectively had to market myself as playing the popular stuff that I actually don't like in the slightest but that's what gets you the gigs. I can smash out learning one of those modern piano plinky plonk things in about half an hour and everybody is like "omg that music is so good", or i can slave away practising Liszt etudes for months on end for one person to hear it and say "oh yeah that's... Something".

I know what I'd prefer to be doing, but I know what makes money. Doesn't mean the plinky plonk that makes money is better though.
    Always been the issue for many musicians for many years 

• I've recently started trying to get piano playing gigs for weddings and events and stuff like that. I've effectively had to market myself as playing the popular stuff that I actually don't like in the slightest but that's what gets you the gigs. I can smash out learning one of those modern piano plinky plonk things in about half an hour and everybody is like "omg that music is so good", or i can slave away practising Liszt etudes for months on end for one person to hear it and say "oh yeah that's... Something".

Always been the issue for many musicians for many years 
    Yes and I've no issues with needing to do that, I was just illustrating that it doesn't make either method better or worse overall, just circumstance which decides it.

I don't think anybody would be fooled into thinking wedding musicians genuinely enjoy playing Pachelbel's Canon or Einaudi though, I suppose that is the difference in the analogy...
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2978
    Therein lies the problem with popularity of music of any age / genre.  I strongly doubt that for example Mendelssohn was thinking “now what can I compose that the whole world will play at weddings for the next few centuries …” .  Yet it became extremely popular.  But at the time the piece was one of the best that the musical industry produced of that time, and of course any musician of the time would have been keen to play for audiences
    That musicians at modern weddings might not like such pieces of chamber music to entertain the assembling wedding guests is an example of the quandry that the best music when popularised becomes boring, yet still remains top quality music.  It is not the music itself or per se which is boring, just the popularity and regularity of its hearing

• Who cares how live an Adele song is? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
    I haven't watched it but a lot of TV live performances are "live to track" which means they are playing their instruments  live to a backing track of the whole song. If it's a record with a lot of dancing then the lead vox is on the backing track too generally. Because when you dance you breath harder, the compressor on the mic pumps and it sounds more like you're having sex than singing. Other times with no dancing and a good singer the lead vox is completely live. 
    There's various reasons for this, equipment redundancy,  performance expectations with modern vocals and performance being so edited on the recordings and the live performance needs to be shazam-able so you can then go and download  / stream it.

I quite like Adele myself although I would struggle to get through a whole album. At least she sounds real and puts some soul into the music. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk