Yet another strat trem query? Which one?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
edited November 2021 in Making & Modding
Hi guys and gals. I am building up a collection of parts for the Albert Lee body I picked up, and not sure what trem to get. It doesn't have to look vintage or modern etc. I would rather something that allows the arm to screw in and hold position.
The Wilkinson trems seem to get decent reviews, but not too sure. I would keep an eye out for used as well.
I am not sure I would need to stretch to the price point of a Wudtone for example but don't want to get crap either.
As I have never really had a strat type guitar, I have never really paid any attention to trems and the ins and outs of them.
So for example, what would the main differences be between these examples? Only visual? Or do I need to take spacing etc into account? (Just used Wilkinson as an example here)
WILKINSON WVS50IIK Tremolo Bridge for Stratocaster Strat Classic Knife Edge  2-pt  eBay
Guitar Two-Post Wilkinson Tremolo Gold

CHROME WILKINSON WVPC STRATOCASTER TREMOLO BRIDGE - Clandestine Guitars   Tienda online de repuestos de guitarra
WILKINSON TREMOLO- 6 HOLE- CHROME - Woodbrasscom
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've not had a wilkinson but I have a wudtone on my strat.

It's very good, but remember it it just bits of metal. If it's made of good metal and to tolerance, it's a good bit. Wilkinson get good reviews. I would have used a wilkinson bridge on my current build if it were not my birthday and thus an opportunity to get a fancy tonepros thing.

Hopefully someone here has experience of the wilkinson bits! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ThePrettyDamned yep, I think I will most likely plump for a Wilkinson, but not sure what to aim for...
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    If you like a very responsive trem that can flutter beautifully then the hip shot is the one to go for

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/6-string-us-contour-tremolo-bridge
  • sweepy said:
    If you like a very responsive trem that can flutter beautifully then the hip shot is the one to go for

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/6-string-us-contour-tremolo-bridge
    Good shout!
  • I thought I could get by with cheap strat trems until I got a Callaham. Get a Callaham
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1549
    edited November 2021
    I see that Reverends for example use the Wilkinson WVS50 IIK Tremolo. Absolutely no idea what these are like and how easy they would drop in to a body. But based on this video, I would go for one!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    If it's made of good metal and to tolerance, it's a good bet.
    Amongst the Wilkinson vintage lookalike fulcrum vibrato bridges, you will never regret ordering the versions with a steel block.

I have a complete, unusedWVS50 II CH languishing in a drawer. Its sustain block is steel. The reason why this is languishing is because I do not have a bench press drill with which to make the pivot insert holes. (Accurate drilling is vital to the correct operation of any floating two-point vibrato.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's made of good metal and to tolerance, it's a good bet.
    Amongst the Wilkinson vintage lookalike fulcrum vibrato bridges, you will never regret ordering the versions with a steel block.

I have a complete, unusedWVS50 II CH languishing in a drawer. Its sustain block is steel. The reason why this is languishing is because I do not have a bench press drill with which to make the pivot insert holes. (Accurate drilling is vital to the correct operation of any floating two-point vibrato.)
    Ah yes, now that I look again at the body I got, it would need the 2 holes drilling, so might look at another option...

Image 1 - Corpo per chitarra  Albert Lee in Nyangon No forature e Battipenna
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Avoid any of these with this saddle design.

WILKINSON WVS50IIK Tremolo Bridge for Stratocaster Strat Classic Knife Edge  2-pt  eBay

The cap screws which hold the saddles down and the pieces they screw into are prone to failure, they're a pain to adjust (not that much, but worse than the traditional type) and in my opinion they sound thin and warbly.

The other Wilkinsons which are more like copies of Fender or PRS bridges are OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks ;
    Not sure if I should be going for 2 point, 3 point etc...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    Thanks ;
    Not sure if I should be going for 2 point, 3 point etc...
    If you're going to fit it yourself, get a 2-post Wilkinson with one fixed notch and the other on a straight edge, like this -

Guitar Two-Post Wilkinson Tremolo Gold

- because the accuracy of the post spacing in the body is the least critical. You will still need to get them accurately vertical and the bass-side one in the right position - and the treble-side one at least fairly close - but it takes one particularly operation-ruining variable out of the equation.

(Plus, I think that shape would actually look very good with the AL body!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The remaining consideration is string/saddle spacing. 

Choose a vibrato bridge that will not run your E strings too close to the edges of the fingerboard.
  • Thanks @ICBM . Never knew any of this ! 

• The remaining consideration is string/saddle spacing. 

Choose a vibrato bridge that will not run your E strings too close to the edges of the fingerboard.
    should my choice of neck dictate the type of bridge I should get? 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3529
    edited November 2021
    ICBM said:
    Avoid any of these with this saddle design.

The cap screws which hold the saddles down and the pieces they screw into are prone to failure, they're a pain to adjust (not that much, but worse than the traditional type) and in my opinion they sound thin and warbly.

The other Wilkinsons which are more like copies of Fender or PRS bridges are OK.
    I agree with this - I really don’t like these ones - not for the reliability issues - but because they impart a metallic zing to the top end that really grates. They also warble in an annoying way that other 2 points like the Mann don’t.

On the plus side, they are very smooth and I never broke any strings with mine, and the arms are nice and solid. 

Are the EB trems available to buy? 
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    I’ve got a Wilkinson WV6 in one of my strats and it’s great. I’ve got a spare in my parts drawer if you want it. About £25?
  • ellwood said:
    I’ve got a Wilkinson WV6 in one of my strats and it’s great. I’ve got a spare in my parts drawer if you want it. About £25?
    Yep, possibly interested in this. By any chance can the trem arm be fixed in position, or does it hang loose?
    Wilkinson vibratos usually have a push-in arm. Rotational friction is adjustable via a small grub screw in the rear of the block.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    ellwood said:
    Yep, possibly interested in this. By any chance can the trem arm be fixed in position, or does it hang loose?
    I think it hangs loose (I never fit them!)
  • @ellwood I'd be interested in the trem alright. I am in Ireland, so not sure if you want to ship out of UK...