How do Line 6 POD's etc. take to active pickups?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
Considering moving from my current tube setup + Passives to a Line 6 POD X3 Live and Active or passive PU's.
Just slightly worried that I'll end up clipping the preamp of the Line 6 with actives, or will the extra power and clarity improve tone? 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    edited August 2014

If it clips just turn down the guitar VC?

Peeps with passives don't like to do this because of the dreaded "tone suck" (real or imagined, that's HF loss to any non-guitar industry tekkies looking in!) But an active guitar will surely either have a buffer post VC or a low enough pot resistance for cable capacitance not to matter?

Yup, most seem to use a 10k pot so the output Z becomes about 2k5  worse case. That would need a H of a lot of cable to be 3dB down at 20kHz!

Dave.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Brilliant! that's exactly what I was after, Cheers :D 
    Just out of interest, does AvP (pickups, not the horror franchise) make much of a difference tone wise when using modelling amps? 
    'Awibble'
  • What actives have you got? Emgs? I've never had any probs with my pod xt. You can clip the xt internally , but not easily from the guitar/pedal. But, like ecc83 says, either turning it down or try lowering the pickup..
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    What actives have you got? Emgs? I've never had any probs with my pod xt. You can clip the xt internally , but not easily from the guitar/pedal. But, like ecc83 says, either turning it down or try lowering the pickup..
    Looking at selling my Dean Soltero SL with BKP Mules in atm, and buying a B.C Rich Mockingbird with EMG 81 and 60's. 
    Would probably sell those and buy some Seymour Duncan AHB-1's though as I far prefer them. 
    'Awibble'