Push button switch for 7-way Strat mod?

What's Hot
erueru Frets: 53
edited November 2021 in Making & Modding
Last year I added the "7-way mod" to my Strat-style guitar using a mini-switch like the one below:

It's worked okay but I find the switch to be a bit clunky and think that a push button-type switch would work better. The kind of thing I'm looking for is something like this (found in Google Images):

Could anyone recommend me a push button switch like this? Something that costs less than £5 and is black (to match my pickguard).

I've had a look on Ebay, etc, but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Thanks for any advice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• is that it pushed in or out?
  • erueru Frets: 53
    edited November 2021
    Not sure what you mean... I'm looking for a small latching switch that you push in for on/off. I can't seem to find one like the one in the pic.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    is that it pushed in or out?
    Probably pushed in.

The ones that Fender used have a line notched around the circumference of the button. This is only visible when the button is in the up/out position.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    edited November 2021
    You need a special fitting inside to attach the switch - there are two types, a sort of plastic spacer that’s glued to the pickguard, or a metal bracket that’s held by the tone pots. If you’ve already got a hole in the guard, you’ll need the first type unless the location is already exactly in the same place as the bracket. (Unlikely!)

(This one is for a mini-toggle, but I'm sure they do them for a push-switch as well.)

You can get black buttons, although white is more common.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • erueru Frets: 53
    Thanks very much for the info. In the end I've decided to make things easier for myself and just install a better quality mini toggle switch instead. It'll save me having to make any new holes in the pickguard, which I almost made of mess of last time.