Recommendations For A Humbucker That can Make A Strat Sound Like An LP (ish)

What's Hot
I'm modifying my partscaster to better suit my new bands set list so going for a Humbucker in the bridge and single coil in the neck combo.

In an ideal world I'd love it to sound as big, fat, warm and harmonic as a Les Paul with a 490T when in the bridge position. But I'm guessing the alder bolder, bolt on maple neck and Tele type bride are going to alter the sound in quite a big way if I was just to drop a 490T in there.

So any recommendations for a HB model that could work with my set up, to get the result I'm after? I've got a Godin with a Basswood body, bolt on neck and Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge which is pretty good for that kind of thing. Any other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like the lil screamin demon. It's not going to make your strat an lp but it's a bit less mental than a hot rails I found, which is itself still really good fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I was trying to do a similar thing recently.

Tried a JB which is great but it doesn't have much low end so I tried a Tone Zone and that was just too much.

Settled on an Oil City Blackbird which is just spectacular.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7974
    edited November 2021
    Perhaps a duncan Custom Custom?  Bit higher output but still A2, should sound relatively fat and warm in your guitar

Edit - just realised you already have one in another guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15261
    IMO, there is no substitute for the contributions of a glued-in neck and the stud inserts of a Tune-o-Matic and stopbar tailpiece.

Having said that, slightly overwound PAF type humbuckers get you into the general dynamic ballpark. SD Screamin' Demon, Pearly Gates Plus* or the elusive Brobucker.

If you don't want to hack up your guitar, there are plenty of single coil sized humbucking pickups nowadays. The SD Red Devil and some of the medium output DiMarzio "Track" pickups. e.g. Richie Kotzen rocks courtesy of The Chopper model.

If you wish to retain some Fenderiness, consider the SD TB-16 '59/Custom hybrid Trembucker. The Oil City Pickups Creature is constructed along similar principles.

* The Duncan PGP is only obtainable through Fender. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 661
    +1 on the Red Devil. Just fitted one in the bridge of a Strat and it's very much in the same ballpark of a Bare Knuckle Mule I have in on of my other Strats.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    If it's a full-size humbucker in a Strat and you want that thicker Les Paul type tone, Custom Custom would be my first choice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    The body is routed for a full size humbucker. Appreciate all the great options so far.
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
    Just been doing a little read up on the SD site and I’m guessing if need a Trembucker spaced humbucker as my partscaster has a Tele bridge?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited November 2021
    Keep the Strat vibe, stick a Bare Knuckle Sinner with Baseplate at the bridge and move the middle tone to the bridge

Edit, but not with a Tele Bridge
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Duppy03 said:
    Just been doing a little read up on the SD site and I’m guessing if need a Trembucker spaced humbucker as my partscaster has a Tele bridge?
    Ideally yes