NPD SP Compressor

What's Hot
shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
Well, it was yesterday but close enough!  Decided to put my 50euro Thomann vouchers towards it so it ended up costing me less than a used one...

Initial impressions are really good and I'm agreeing with lots of others about the blend, this replaces a Route 66 on my board which has spent years going on and off the board due to liking the sound, but not liking the 'feel' of it.  Turning the blend down (around 11 o'clock atm) seems to be a good balance for me.

What have others found with the dip switches?  Only had a sort play, but so far I didn't like 1 and 2 up so have kept them down.  3 I've also switched down which removes less top end.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 677
    I have had mine for a wee while now, running it on "low" with blend around about 11 o'clock too - sounds great.

I can't remember what my dip switched are set to though! I did have a play around when I first got it - I may have just left them at factory.

Regardless, this still beat the Ego Compressor and Diamond! Superb pedal, with simple controls and small footprint = WIN!
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Oh also, really like the feel of the footswitch, no idea how or what exactly but it's like touch sensitive!
  • I have both the SP and Suhr Koji Comp. They are both fantastic compressors and do exactly what I want them to do for their respective purposes. The Koji is on my main board for a tonally transparent, clean compression. The SP I find to be a little warmer and does something very pleasing to the tone. The range of compression is also a little greater with the SP - it can do heavier compression if you want it, with the blend all the way up on the 'Hi' mode. Personally, I left the dip switches in the factory position (high cut engaged) and I really like the effect it has on the tone, particularly overdriven. It smoothes out the edges and adds a natural sustain. It's not as transparent as the Koji (the Koji has the wonderful effect of sounding as though it isn't there when you don't want it to be, when playing dynamically it doesn't affect your tone or gain in a detrimental way), but it adds its own thing while still allowing dynamics to come through. I personally use the 'Mid' setting most with blend at 1 o'clock and find this gives me all the sustain and balance I need for a funk clean tone as well as a distorted lead tone. 

Another thing I love about the SP is its ability to act as a slightly coloured clean boost in the 'Lo' mode. With a lower blend setting, you can use it to push the front end of the amp and add in the warmth and body from the hi-cut feature, without sacrificing dynamics. Great little pedal!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1630
    ^ excellent comparison. I've had the SP and now have a Koji, and this is bang on. I would add that I found the SP rather noisier than the Koji and indeed noisier than my Diamond or Cali 76 too. I've read others saying the same (and, to be fair, others experiencing no noise). I guess the SP's greater squish may have something to do with it.

The Cali is noiseless, but then it's made from unicorn bones and fairy dust, both known for their low noise floor

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom