Contact Cleaner?

What's Hot
The footswitch in my Kingsley Page seems to be a little dirty/temperamental and before handing it in somewhere for repair, I wondered if it was worthwhile trying to give it a clean myself. 

I asked down at my local B&Q for electrical contact cleaner and two of the staff looked at me like I had two heads. Useless.

I’ve since asked a mate who works in electronics and said to take it along. He hasn’t seen the pedal/switch but has said he has Isopropyl Alcohol that should do the trick.

Just wanted to check on here if anyone thinks this WONT work and is a bad idea? 

If so, what exactly should I be looking to use?

Thanks in advance

Keir
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6316
    i use Servisol Super 10 Contact Cleaner. It's amazing stuff - recently took a bass out of storage after 12 months and one of the pots had seized up. A quick spray of Servisol had it back in full operation in a couple of minutes. Works really well on scratchy pots too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4233
    I use Deoxit - it's like the magic sponge.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I got a can of "Super Help" stuff recently. Got my Hotcake and Rat back to their best
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2436
    Servisol Super 10 for me too, and for the odd spot of corrosion that the Super10 won't shift I use a fibreglass pen, so handy to have around the house. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Servisol Super 10, Electrolube EML, Deoxit or some other variety of proper contact cleaner/lubricant.

Don't use isopropyl alcohol, it will wash the grease out of the switch - you need something with a lubricant in it too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWynd said:
    i use Servisol Super 10 Contact Cleaner. It's amazing stuff - recently took a bass out of storage after 12 months and one of the pots had seized up. A quick spray of Servisol had it back in full operation in a couple of minutes. Works really well on scratchy pots too.
    I use this
  • I too use servisol , absolutely fantastic stuff
  • YearofthegoatYearofthegoat Frets: 31
    edited December 2021
    Servisol's great for moving parts due to the lubricant. Revived the pots on my old Park practice amp.

It's not like 'dry' contact cleaner such as the WD40 brand contact cleaner, which will get things literally squeaky clean, like PCBs, battery contacts etc. Also great for mobile phone screens e.g. prior to applying a screen protector.