metronome for time signature changes

What's Hot
So I'm trying to learn Golden brown on the old keyboard..

In the intro, the  first 3 bars are in 3/4 and then the 4th is 4/4.    That repeats 3 times  Anyone come across an easy way to setup a metronome  either on android/iphone/ or pc  or actual metronome that will let me program that in? 

I'm aware that I could probably do it in  a daw or something but ijust want something very quick n dirty to do.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BradBrad Frets: 659
    Time Guru does what you’re after, it allows you to combine different time sigs. 

Other than that, you don’t really need any particular settings. Just let the metronome go at tempo and count the bars. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    thanks,
    I found an android app metronomodd which does it and is very easy to setup.
    thomasw88 said:
    thanks,
    I found an android app metronomodd which does it and is very easy to setup.
    Happy days :smile: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Assuming no tempo changes couldn't you just turn off the "first beat of bar tone" option? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Assuming no tempo changes couldn't you just turn off the "first beat of bar tone" option? 
    This is a nice idea, but unfortunately wrong. With 3/4, you are splitting a Bar up into 3 equal Beats. If you just leave out the first beat of a Bar of 4/4, then you are playing a Rest followed by 3 Beats that are still in 4/4.
    Assuming no tempo changes couldn't you just turn off the "first beat of bar tone" option? 
    This is a nice idea, but unfortunately wrong. With 3/4, you are splitting a Bar up into 3 equal Beats. If you just leave out the first beat of a Bar of 4/4, then you are playing a Rest followed by 3 Beats that are still in 4/4.
    Forgive me for speaking on behalf of @stickyfiddle but I think he means just to turn off the accent on beat one of the bar, so each beat is the same pitch giving a continuous steady stream of beats, rather than removing the beat entirely. 

I think @stickyfiddle and myself were saying the same thing in different ways. 
  • Brad said:
    Assuming no tempo changes couldn't you just turn off the "first beat of bar tone" option? 
    Forgive me for speaking on behalf of @stickyfiddle but I think he means just to turn off the accent on beat one of the bar, so each beat is the same pitch giving a continuous steady stream of beats, rather than removing the beat entirely. 

Yes, I assumed we're talking about a metronome that counts: 

BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep... 

And OP wants BEEP beep beep BEEP  beep beep BEEP  beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep... 

But you could just have beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep without the different tone indicating the first beat of a bar. I didn't mean to just ignore the first beat :) 

That reminds me of an old acquaintance who described their band playing in seven.  They'd count in one, two, three, four, five, six, seeee-ven... 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Brad said:
    I agree, it is the simplest solution, just like using a traditional metronome.

• Yep - I very nearly added a picture of one of those when I originally posted but was in a hurry so didn't!
  • Or set a metronome to 10/4 time Sig?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Brad said:

Yes, I assumed we're talking about a metronome that counts: 

BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep... 

And OP wants BEEP beep beep BEEP  beep beep BEEP  beep beep BEEP beep beep beep BEEP beep beep beep... 

But you could just have beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep without the different tone indicating the first beat of a bar. I didn't mean to just ignore the first beat :) 

That reminds me of an old acquaintance who described their band playing in seven.  They'd count in one, two, three, four, five, six, seeee-ven... 
    yes that’s what I want. I’m aware of turning off 1st note bar beats but it’s not what I’m after in this case
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    edited December 2021
    Or set a metronome to 10/4 time Sig?
    I think you mean 13/4 ? 

3 + 3 + 3 + 4

*edit* but that only works for the intro of course - the verse is 3/4 !

*edit again* - or is it 6/8 ???

• Sorry yes I can't add up!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Nitefly said:
    Or set a metronome to 10/4 time Sig?
    I think you mean 13/4 ? 

3 + 3 + 3 + 4

*edit* but that only works for the intro of course - the verse is 3/4 !

*edit again* - or is it 6/8 ???

3/4  although there are occasional bars of 4/4 throughout the song.
    I have just had a listen to the Top of The Pops version (on YouTube, here) which must surely be the recorded version. It sounds like it is mostly in 6/8, the structure is like this:

Intro: 1 bar of 6/8 then 1 bar of 7/8 (repeat 4 times)
    Pre-verse: 2 bars of 6/8
    1st verse: 8 bars of 6/8
    2nd verse: 8 bars of 6/8
    3rd verse: 8 bars of 6/8
    Solo: 8 bars of 6/8
    Refrain: 21 bars of 6/8 (fade starts after 14 bars)

It means, @thomasw88 that your metronome needs to be programmed to have the intro with the 4 times alternating 6/8 and 7/8 bars; all other sections are in constant 6/8 time.
    edited December 2021
    I’m looking at the sheet music forTrinity  grade 5 rock n pop keyboard, it only does one of the keyboard parts but the time signature on that is as what I said.  
  • thomasw88 said:
    I’m looking at the sheet music forTrinity  grade 5 rock n pop keyboard, it only does one of the keyboard parts but the time signature on that is as what I said.  
    IHMO, it feels a bit fast to be in "Waltz time" so I hear it as 6/8 followed by 7/8 with emphasis on the ONE 2 3 FOUR 5 6 ONE 2 3 FOUR 5 6 7.

I took a look a selection of scores for this and most of them are in 6/8, 7/8 except for a "beginners Piano" arrangement I found which was 3/4, 3/4, 3/4, 4/4. So I wonder if they've just changed it to help less experienced musicians count on a bar-by-bar basis to emphasise the ONE every time. Not something I'd expect for Grade 5, though. 

Anyway - METRONOMES. I've got an app on my iPhone called Pro Metronome. It's free, and pretty easy to write in a bar of 13/8 where you put the emphasis on beats 1, 4, 7 and 10. 
    Now that we know thomasw88's teacher has given him the Trinity transcription then he will probably have to follow that.
    thomasw88 said:
    I'm aware that I could probably do it in  a daw or something but ijust want something very quick n dirty to do.
    I am under the impression that quick 'n' dirty will be a metronome without accented beats. Programming an intelligent metronome app or using a DAW will get you to where you want to be but not quite to instantaneously.
    Whistler said:
    Now that we know thomasw88's teacher has given him the Trinity transcription then he will probably have to follow that.
    thomasw88 said:
    I am under the impression that quick 'n' dirty will be a metronome without accented beats. Programming an intelligent metronome app or using a DAW will get you to where you want to be but not quite to instantaneously.
    Theres and android app Metromodd which does exactly what I'm looking for.  Very easy to use and setup. 
    edited December 2021
    thomasw88 said:
    Theres and android app Metromodd which does exactly what I'm looking for.  Very easy to use and setup. 
    Metromodd? It may be very easy to use and setup but it seems difficult to find.