24” M1 iMac or Macbook with M1 Pro?

StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3693
edited December 2021 in Studio & Recording
Looking at options for home studio.  I am using a 10 year old 27” iMac.

I like the all in one format but is the first gen M1 chip much worse?

I’d probably get an M1Pro iMac if they had one.  Or should I get a mac mini with lots of memory / RAM.

i really don't want to spend another grand on a laptop and already had two MacBooks develop issues and die in the time I have had my iMac.

Interested to know what people are choosing?

I do edit video too.. Final Cut Pro X .. so not really interested in PC and I have those for Reaper/cakewalk, etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    Mac Mini with 256Gb drive and 16Gb RAM would do the trick. External storage attached as required.
  • Philtre said:
    Mac Mini with 256Gb drive and 16Gb RAM would do the trick. External storage attached as required.
    Yep.. going that way in my head.  2TB external.  Already do that for video.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 466
    There is talk of the 27inch launching early next year and it seems as tho that may have the later M1. I’m in exactly the same position - have a 2013 iMac that has been super reliable, unlike my MacBooks.  
    Am planning to wait for more details and hopefully get the new iMac 27 
  • joeW said:
    There is talk of the 27inch launching early next year and it seems as tho that may have the later M1. I’m in exactly the same position - have a 2013 iMac that has been super reliable, unlike my MacBooks.  
    Am planning to wait for more details and hopefully get the new iMac 27 
    That is my other thought.. either wait for that or a second M gen mini.

The unreliability of the MacBooks has really spoiled them for me.  Design over function.  £4k down the drain.  

The latest iMacs primary marketing feature is how ‘thin’ they are.  

Suspect a new 27” iMac Pro will be very pricy though.
  • I had the previous MacBook to the M1 . Drunk girlfriends son spilled a drink on it so an insurance claim got me the M1 . I don’t notice any improvement at all . Just annoyingly it will only now connect to one external monitor at a time . I previously used 2 . It doesn’t like my expensive multi adapter. It won’t always charge through it . I preferred my old one tbh 
  • I replaced a 2014 iMac with the M1 mini after thinking about a new iMac.  Went with the mini with extra RAM and external storage for a number of reasons, mainly:

1. You get a lot more for your £ 
    2. If your display packs in you’ve still got a system
    3. More USB ports on the mini and Ethernet port as standard.

The thing is so incredibly fast compared to my old iMac.  I don’t do Video editing but in Logic ProX everything is handled in an instant with no grumbling :)