Pink Floyd

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 766
    Listen to Live at Pompeii from 72. Songs from different albums and includes the best version ever of Careful with that Axe Eugene and Echoes. Plus the banter and scenes of the recording sessions of DSOTM are gems.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mad dogs and Englishmen go out and play in the midday sun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My introduction to Floyd was when my Dad bought a Rover 3500 in the late 70s/early 80s. It had an 8-Track cassette player and came with about 5 cassettes - most were awful, but there was an Elvis album and Animals by Pink Floyd. I love that album and recommend you give it a listen. Sheep is my favourite track.

https://youtu.be/3GE-sfEbJ7I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited December 2021
    Sheep is a brilliant pay off to a strong album; a very overlooked track. I don't think I've heard a better strat sound.
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 222
    Sheep is a brilliant pay off to a strong album; a very overlooked track. I don't think I've heard a better strat sound.
    Properly because Gilmour used a Telecaster on the studio track...  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited December 2021
    Emiel said:
    Properly because Gilmour used a Telecaster on the studio track... 
    Maybe for certain parts, but I’m pretty sure the outro is a Strat. Dogs was all Tele, tuned down. Edit: ok I’ve done some digging and it appears you’re right, it’s all Tele on sheep s
  • Weird thing about Pink Floyd is that, even though they've been through several versions with different sounds, I've enjoyed all of them.

I do like The Final Cut, but I'd put it in the same bracket as Berlin by Lou Reed, in that it can be a tough listen, but if you're in the mood for it it's brilliant and very multi layered. 

I've got some of their various solo stuff, some of which is very good, but as a band they had some special magic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    Emiel said:
    Maybe for certain parts, but I’m pretty sure the outro is a Strat. Dogs was all Tele, tuned down. Edit: ok I’ve done some digging and it appears you’re right, it’s all Tele on sheep s
    I thought I can hear some use of a trem arm?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    an 8-Track … player.
    In-car eight track machines played cartridges rather than compact cassettes. 

The eight track version of Animals featured a segued version of Pigs On The Wing. Parts one and two were linked by an instrumental section and a guitar solo by Snowy White. (This was eventually issued on CD on an SW career retrospective compilation.) I don't know whether this version will be included amongst the bonus material on the overdue 2018 remastered edition of the album. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • an 8-Track … player.
    In-car eight track machines played cartridges rather than compact cassettes. 

The eight track version of Animals featured a segued version of Pigs On The Wing. Parts one and two were linked by an instrumental section and a guitar solo by Snowy White. (This was eventually issued on CD on an SW career retrospective compilation.) I don't know whether this version will be included amongst the bonus material on the overdue 2018 remastered edition of the album. 
    I don't recall what the things you stuck in the player were called, but I didn't say "compact cassette". They certainly weren't compact!

I didn't know that about the 8-track version, thanks. Here it is:

• Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 93
    edited December 2021
    Emiel said:
    Not exclusively...that is a Stratocaster in the outro and also for some of the fills.