Blackface tones circa 12-15 watts preferably with a 12" speaker

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
In my mind, I'm thinking of a Princetron Reverb with a 12" speaker.  Any recommendations / experiences?

Stuff like:

Morgan PR12
Rift
Louis Electric
Headstrong

Anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    You can fit a 12" speaker into a Princeton.  I know because I have one with it.  You just have to watch out that the magnet isn't too big and also that it has a cross construction, not a wheel (4 spokes to the back rather than many).

I made a new baffle, so I can go back to the 10 when I sell it (or offer it as an alternative).  It's pretty easy to make one from plywood and it is easier to cut a new hole than to enlarge the existing one.   Fender sell the speaker bolts, they have a reverse screw thread to fit them into the baffle.  I went with 4 rather than 8, as I wanted more choice of speakers.  I'm actually using an old Goodman's Axiom in mine, but it is heavily modified to old Deluxe specs with 5881 valves and different transformers.  It was a build on an old Silverface donor that was totally wrecked and Jonh McIntyre did the rebuild to his "Prince O'Wails" spec.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1438
    PhilKing said:
    You can fit a 12" speaker into a Princeton.
    Thanks.  That's probably within my skillset.  I'll add the Fender handwired reissue to my list of potentials and keep my eyes out for a SF original.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    There's a limited edition FSR Princeton Reverb that comes with a Celestion Blue... which is the wrong speaker for a Princeton in my opinion! But does make it very easy to swap in something more appropriate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    There's a limited edition FSR Princeton Reverb that comes with a Celestion Blue... which is the wrong speaker for a Princeton in my opinion! But does make it very easy to swap in something more appropriate.
    Cheers.  I've read there was one with a Cannabis Rex too.  But they're the PCB version, I'd rather have something handwired.
  • I’ve had a modded 70s silverface with a 12” driver, a Morgan PR12 and a Rift PR18. The first two I’ve sold but I still have the Rift and it’s a great sounding amp although bloody loud! Mine has a Dwell control on the reverb (the Morgan does too) which I think is a really good and very useful feature. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I’ve had a modded 70s silverface with a 12” driver, a Morgan PR12 and a Rift PR18.
    Thanks.  How did they compare?

I suspect there's something from Carr and Tone King that may also fit the bill....
  • Gartone Jewel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    or Headstrong Little King is as close as you will get
    At that level they are all top quality
    I suspect that the Gartone is outstanding ..........that guy can build an awesome amp
  • Carr all the way for me - Sportsman is a great Princeton.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    Only 8 watts but tone king gremlin is a brilliant amp and 13 inch speaker. Plus attenuator. They also do the falcon grande which might suit you better. 
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    edited December 2021
    munckee said:
    Only 8 watts but tone king gremlin is a brilliant amp and 13 inch speaker. Plus attenuator. They also do the falcon grande which might suit you better. 
    +1 for the Gremlin brilliant amp - but I have had both the Headstrong and the Louis Electric and they too are spectacular! My Gremlin only has a 12 inch speaker though  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    Only 8 watts but tone king gremlin is a brilliant amp
    wellsyboy said:
    munckee said:
    Only 8 watts but tone king gremlin is a brilliant amp
    +1 for the Gremlin brilliant amp 
    The Gremlin looks fun, but only 5 watts.

Dr Z Cure is an option I'm currently Googling.....
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    edited December 2021
    I have a Headstrong Lil King S. ...superb amp. (I fact I have 2 of them at the moment!)  I’m sure the Lil King is just as good (the S is 25w 6L6). 
    They’re are all very well executed, slight variations on a theme. So, which one suits you is going to be very personal. 
    I’ve found the Headstrong records very nicely with an e906 in front of it. 
    Live it sounds really good but maybe just a little polite. I’m sure speaker changes will have fairly drastic results. A Rajin Cajun, for example, sounds a lot bigger than many other 10s. 
    Having said all this.. if it’s really a Princeton you want, maybe that’s what you need. There is a hand wired 64 custom in the for sale section.
     (In the name of transparency. The seller is likely to buy one of my Headstrongs back if he sells this). 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5019
    edited January 2022
    Dodge said:
    I’ve had a modded 70s silverface with a 12” driver, a Morgan PR12 and a Rift PR18.
    Thanks.  How did they compare?
    The 70s silverface was loud and ballsy, somehow not quite like a Princeton. The Morgan was ok and had very nice reverb but overall sounded a bit constricted to my ears, like someone had thrown a blanket over the baffle. The Rift is loud, clean, takes pedals very well, and is very lightweight. It’s quite a bright sounding amp and I’m thinking of trying a different speaker to the WGS G12C that came with it. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Carr Rambler in half-power mode
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 181
    edited January 2022
    I was in a similar search, have recently acquired a Carr Super Bee and really happy with it. The cleans, edge of break up tones are super nice at also  bedroom levels. It is only 10Watts, might be tricky with a loud drummer but can be mic'ed for gigging. 
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    I had a PRRI and sold it, flubs out on low notes with the 10 inch speaker. 

Try a Carr Skylark 12w, lovely cleans and amazing overdrive does Hendrix meets SRV easily. 

My other amp is a tone king imperial so I know what a good blackface sounds like. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Dodge said:
    PhilKing said:
    You can fit a 12" speaker into a Princeton.
    Thanks.  That's probably within my skillset.  I'll add the Fender handwired reissue to my list of potentials and keep my eyes out for a SF original.
    Slightly OT, but wasn't that how Randall Smith accidentally prototyped the original Boogie? 12" speaker and the output transformer from a Bassman, fitted to a friend's Princeton as a practical joke?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    randella said:

Slightly OT, but wasn't that how Randall Smith accidentally prototyped the original Boogie? 12" speaker and the output transformer from a Bassman, fitted to a friend's Princeton as a practical joke?
    Kind of, yes - it was actually the whole circuit from a 5F6-A Bassman I think, plus a JBL speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein