PRS basses. Who knew??

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
Don't know why, but I didn't even realise PRS made basses until today! Stumbled upon them by accident online.
Are they any good? Any famous players? They've honestly passed me by completely.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    edited December 2021
    Good basses for the money, Robbie Shakespeare played a PRS with the 3 pickups, it was around a 1986 model , monster sound 
    Riddim up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited December 2021
    The Artist signature models are as good as you would expect, for a price you would expect.

The two SE models are nice but one amounts to a fugly Jazz Bass with its pickups in the wrong positions along the strings. The other, the SE Kingfisher, has the advantages of resembling no other specific famous design and having EMG35-sized pickups. The latter makes it easy to upgrade, should you feel the need. 

I have almost bought an SE Kingfisher on more than one occasion. I stopped looking once the pre-owned prices exceeded to original MSRP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited December 2021
    S'funny. These never come up in conversation!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    The Artist signature models are as good as you would expect, for a price you would expect.

The two SE models are nice but one amounts to a fugly Jazz Bass with its pickups in the wrong positions along the strings. The other, the SE Kingfisher, has the advantages of resembling no other specific famous design and having EMG35-sized pickups. The latter makes it easy to upgrade, should you feel the need. 

I have almost bought an SE Kingfisher on more than one occasion. I stopped looking once the pre-owned prices exceeded to original MSRP.
    I knew about the old ones but I had no idea they were still making basses, much less that there was an SE version.

Having looked, I actually prefer the 'fugly Jazz Bass' Kestrel to the 'dull as any other generic modern bass' Kingfisher. The body shape reminds me slightly of the Gibson Victory, although I'm not sure that's a good thing... and they both have (probably unsurprisingly given the names!) bird inlays, which is a No from me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22811
    I wasn't aware of the SE models either.  The Kestrel reminds me of a Gibson Victory.
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    They've made a five string signature model for Gary Grainger, the bassist in Paul's band.  Rhonda Smith endorses one too.  The eighties three pickup models are pretty hard to find but those who have played them speak highly of them.

[This space for rent]

• Bork said:
      The eighties three pickup models are pretty hard to find but those who have played them speak highly of them.

Your right Bork, you don’t see them very often, there was one for sale this time last year , a golden age 4 with a black quilted finish, it was up for 2K 
    Riddim up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Garry Tallent has been seen with a semi hollow fairly often in recent years

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    My old 89 Curly 4:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Garry Tallent has been seen with a semi hollow fairly often in recent years
    That's ridiculously cool.

Dodge said:
    My old 89 Curly 4
    What switching/pickup combinations are available on the three-pickup ones? Just curious... *two* of the pickups are in the perfect places for me. (Some of you might be able to guess which ones!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

IIRC, the PRS three pickup system borrows from Alembic. The outer single coils provide the sounds. The centre coil is for hum-cancellation purposes. 

I need to dig out the old Dave Burrluck book to confirm my assertion.
    IIRC, the PRS three pickup system borrows from Alembic. The outer single coils provide the sounds. The centre coil is for hum-cancellation purposes. 

I need to dig out the old Dave Burrluck book to confirm my assertion.
    Aha... if so, the dummy coil could be swapped to the bridge position :).

• Phil Holborne’s bass player and music show stalwart Andy Frost has played one for many years...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Phil Holborne’s bass player and music show stalwart Andy Frost has played one for many years...
    Yep I remember this from at least 25 years ago if not more. Used to see Phil at the Cartoon Club in Croydon playing his Bonni Pink PRS but remember talking to Andy a couple of times over a pint 
  • My pal picked up an old one for e800 last year... they are out there!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    I feel the elegant bird inlays are out of place on a bass.

They should try ungainly geese or fat pelicans or something.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ideally, the fingerboard should be fretless and plain. Inlays are for fairies.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ideally, the fingerboard should be fretless and plain. Inlays are for fairies.
    If you are talking about garden fairies then they simply don't have the span for bass. They struggle with ukulele..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom