Christmas cliches

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 6020
You all know this one. You are watching a TV series and the particular episode is set in the weeks before Christmas. (Let's say it's Midsummer Murders, but it could be almost anything from almost any decade, they all do the same.) Our hero walks past a shopping centre or a park, and sure enough, there is a brass band playing Christmas carols. And they are absolutely, abysmally bloody awful. 

It's just such a cliche. Every damn country does it (at least all the English-speaking ones, and the Americans too.)  No real band, ever, anywhere, was half as woeful as the band we hear playing on a hundred different TV shows. It's just so exaggerated. Drives me nuts. And you see the same stupid cliche repeated over and over and over.

But earlier this week I was shopping in Devonport (the one in Tasmania, not the other one) and outside the supermarket a 7 or 8 piece brass band was playing. And they were worse than any stupid pretending-to-be-really-bad band I ever heard on TV. Seriously. I actually thought of looking to see if they had a hat for donations, but only so I could take $20 out of it, which would have been about right.

Anyway, that is my Christmas musical cliche. Any more?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    When I was at school / college I worked in a shopping centre in the food court.

I had to listen to these f'kers for most of November and December. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2482
    Tannin said:
    You all know this one. You are watching a TV series and the particular episode is set in the weeks before Christmas. (Let's say it's Midsummer Murders, but it could be almost anything from almost any decade, they all do the same.) Our hero walks past a shopping centre or a park, and sure enough, there is a brass band playing Christmas carols. And they are absolutely, abysmally bloody awful. 

It's just such a cliche. Every damn country does it (at least all the English-speaking ones, and the Americans too.)  No real band, ever, anywhere, was half as woeful as the band we hear playing on a hundred different TV shows. It's just so exaggerated. Drives me nuts. And you see the same stupid cliche repeated over and over and over.

But earlier this week I was shopping in Devonport (the one in Tasmania, not the other one) and outside the supermarket a 7 or 8 piece brass band was playing. And they were worse than any stupid pretending-to-be-really-bad band I ever heard on TV. Seriously. I actually thought of looking to see if they had a hat for donations, but only so I could take $20 out of it, which would have been about right.

Anyway, that is my Christmas musical cliche. Any more?

That really made me chuckle. So true. It reminds me of a film scene, I think it was in The Ipcress File, when Michael Caine meets some other agent in a park where there is an awful military brass band playing on a bandstand. As Michael leaves he gestures towards the band and says “Let me know who wins””.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    I went to my daughters Christmas concert a few weeks ago. There was a brass ensemble and one of them couldn’t play it there instrument was out of tune. Even the band were looking at each other with pained expressions. 

When they came back later on there was one less kid and it all sounded fine. 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1621
    I was in Tescos last week and 'I wish it could be Christmas every day' was stuck on that very line. I was very close to ending it all!!
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    edited December 2021
    My dad always writes a new carol and gives it to us on Christmas day and we sing it before dinner. Here’s yesterday’s. It’s for SATB, nyckelharpa and piano. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15283
    edited December 2021
    viz said:
    It’s for SAHB*
    FTFY.

* Almost forty years gone!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • vizviz Frets: 11043
    viz said:
    It’s for SAHB*
    FTFY.

* Almost forty years gone!
    Not sure Dad is familiar with Alex Harvey!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11016
    Brass bands on the street will always sound pitchy because you need to be static to breath evenly.  Plus the temperature and damp / atmosphere affects the instruments tuning and tone. 
    You could take a top BB like Black Dyke and march them through the street in Winter and it wouldn't sound great. 

A proper good BB sat down in a room where the instruments have climatized and playing to a conductor though is an amazing sound 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    This lot were standing comfortably in a corner out of the breeze, Danny. Lovely mild summer afternoon. Quite a good spot. My guess is that they were a high school band and had had to bring in two or three last-minute replacements. Or they felt obliged to include some youngsters who hadn't learned to play yet. Whatever, they were truly terrible.