Technical query re Speakers and impedance.

What's Hot
Probably for @ICBM:

If I have a combo (valve 2 x 6v6 Class A) with a 16ohm internal speaker and the ability to have an extension speaker cab also plugged in, but it also specifies 16ohms, and my existing external cab has an 8 Ohm speaker, is there any way to safely use the 8 ohm speaker in the additional cab to augment or replace the existing internal 16 ohm speaker in the combo?
I hope that makes sense.

And whilst here Merry Christmas and best wishes for the coming year to all FB members.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    What amp is it? It would be very useful to know this, but it seems to be treated as confidential information whenever this sort of question comes up!

It’s rarely critical to the answer, but it would make it a lot easier to be sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 248
    Incoming - Brunetti Singleman 16 combo.
    Ok, not familiar with that - does the extension speaker jack cut off the internal speaker, or does it add the second cab in parallel? (Or series, but that’s very rare.)

If it adds the extension speaker then it’s necessary to know if it switches the impedance of the amp - some do, many don’t.

*In general* a mismatch of up to 2:1 in either direction is safe with a valve amp, but there are some exceptions and it might be important to know whether it’s a good idea to push it close to the limit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It adds the cabinet.

From the manual:

AMPLIFIER: class A 16W (6V6GT tubes) 
    LOUDSPEAKER: 12” cone Celestion V30 (16 OHM)
    EXTERNAL SPEAKER: rear output, 16 Ohm for add-on speaker

Interested to know is there any box/gizmo/thing to add in line with the speaker via speaker cable(s) to convert the impedance from 8ohms to 16ohms?
    edited December 2021
    Yes - https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher/ - but it might not be necessary. If the amp switches its impedance to 8 ohms when you plug in a second 16-ohm cab, it’s fine to just use the 8-ohm one anyway.

Are you going to be playing it loud? If you’re not cranking it into power-stage overdrive it's fine anyway, impedance matching isn’t at all critical.

There is a way of testing this even if the manual doesn’t say. Turn the amp up loud enough so you can hear the background noise/hiss - no guitar signal. Then put an unconnected speaker cable into the extension jack. If the noise stops, the extension speaker turns off the internal one. If it doesn’t stop and there is a brief interruption as the plug goes in or out, or a small change in the volume of the noise, it’s switching the impedance. If it doesn’t do either, it’s simply in parallel.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Yes - https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher/ - but it might not be necessary. If the amp switches its impedance to 8 ohms when you plug in a second 16-ohm cab, it’s fine to just use the 8-ohm one anyway.

Are you going to be playing it loud? If you’re not cranking it into power-stage overdrive it's fine anyway, impedance matching isn’t at all critical.

There is a way of testing this even if the manual doesn’t say. Turn the amp up loud enough so you can hear the background noise/hiss - no guitar signal. Then put an unconnected speaker cable into the extension jack. If the noise stops, the extension speaker turns off the internal one. If it doesn’t stop and there is a brief interruption as the plug goes in or out, or a small change in the volume of the noise, it’s switching the impedance. If it doesn’t do either, it’s simply in parallel.
    John as always you are the man. Thanks so much. I don't have the amp yet - I'm picking it up on Monday so will do as you advise to check. It won't be played flat out. 
    Have a great Christmas.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    @ICBM is one of those guys where you secretly wish he was your dad
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom