SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: 1989 Rickenbacker 381 - Jetglo

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13214
edited July 2022 in Guitars £
Hi all, 

Short version --- player grade 1989 Rickenbacker 381. <sold> Image gallery: https://imgur.com/a/S4VbQmb

Long version: 

I have decided that as much as I genuinely love this guitar, its just too much money for a ham-fisted bedroom guitarist like me to have wrapped up in an instrument and I’d like to down size to something a little bit smaller (and cheaper). I bought this from a well-respected forumite in the summer of 2020 and with his permission I’ll re-use some of his description and pictures. 

This is a 1989 Rickenbacker 381 in Jetglo. Apparently it “should” be a 381V69 vintage reissue but it was built with the ‘modern’ trim which makes it slightly unusual. 
  • It has period correct High-gain pickups but these are not the originals. 
  • Currently strung with custom Newtones with a wound G.
  • It has the original case, which is in good condition given the age. 
  • It's very much 'player grade'. It's been refretted (well) with larger frets and the board lacquer stripped off - that makes it feel more conventional than most Ricks.
Now, the really important stuff. It looks like it's been dropped at some point - there's a small repaired crack from the low E tuner to the edge of the headstock along the length of the neck. The neck didn't break, nor did the neck joint, but it looks like it 'whiplashed' and shattered some of the finish off from around the neck joint - not a huge amount. This, and numerous other down-to-the wood scrapes and chips have been touched up with some black paint - it would look fine on stage but you can still see it up close. There's also a reasonable amount of finish checking. The upper layer of the pickguard has the lower pointy corner broken off.

I’m in Burntisland, Fife. I work in West-central Edinburgh in normal times. Absolutely no postage --- this is too expensive to entrust to a courier and I want the buyer to see it / play it before forking over their hard-earned. 

Update May 2022 - no trades, thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•  

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2113
     <3 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Incredible!!! 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12749
    I *know* I don’t get on with Rics but that’s lovely. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Check the era. The neck profiles change a lot. This particular era is my favourite by a distance…. This one could be great. 
  • impmann said:
    Check the era. The neck profiles change a lot. This particular era is my favourite by a distance…. This one could be great. 
    It is a really great instrument. This sale already smacks of things I'll regret in later years... 
  • impmann said:
    You need this more than a 12string Gav. 
  • impmann said:
    Ha! They’re too ornate for me, this particular model. It’s lovely as a thing, but not one I could get behind. My 330 is very special, and I’m just trying to scratch a 360 itch that’s been long standing. I’m annoyed I dithered on yours tbh! 
  • impmann said:
    Ha! They’re too ornate for me, this particular model. It’s lovely as a thing, but not one I could get behind. My 330 is very special, and I’m just trying to scratch a 360 itch that’s been long standing. I’m annoyed I dithered on yours tbh! 
    I’m glad you gave me the nudge and planted the seed of selling -it was fortuitous tbh. I owe you a hearty thanks and a pint. 
  • I did briefly UnclePsychosis said:
    impmann said:
    It is a really great instrument. This sale already smacks of things I'll regret in later years... 
    I did briefly hover over it, as I’ve a Tele custom too and money incoming. But I cannot. 
  • impmann said:
    I’m glad you gave me the nudge and planted the seed of selling -it was fortuitous tbh. I owe you a hearty thanks and a pint. 
    If either of you buy this I'll buy you TWO pints. Can't say fairer than that! 
  • I did briefly UnclePsychosis said:
    impmann said:
    I did briefly hover over it, as I’ve a Tele custom too and money incoming. But I cannot. 
    Sad face. 
  • If either of you buy this I'll buy you TWO pints. Can't say fairer than that! 
    Unfortunately, the country gent 12 string in my avatar took those funds -I think they were in my pocket for less than 24 hours. Sorry dude!

Your Ric is an absolute stunner though, if I could afford it I’d snap it up. Best of luck with the sale.
    Unfortunately, the country gent 12 string in my avatar took those funds -I think they were in my pocket for less than 24 hours. Sorry dude!

Your Ric is an absolute stunner though, if I could afford it I’d snap it up. Best of luck with the sale.
    Three pints?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Three pints?  ;)
    I thought only my wife knew I was that cheap! =)
  • Bump.

I'm not going to bump this too often because I'm not *desperate* to sell it. 

For the benefit of future readers / searchers, if its not marked as sold then feel free to assume its still available. 
  • Bump. Been swithering about this so strike whilst the iron is hot! 
  • Such a pretty guitar
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2103
    I recently bought my first RIC. They have a unique sound and everyone should at least own one. If you're a rhythm guitarist then it should be a given but they are great for anything. The guitar controls offer lots of scope. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Now I’ve run out of cash I kinda want it :D