Epiphone Quick Connects

What's Hot
I know they are molex but having gone google eyed looking at RS and Mouser can anyone shed light on which ones they are?

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Photographs of Epiphone ProBuckers and controls removed from recent LP guitars illustrate five-in-line block connectors. 

These come in pin and socket pairs. As you have already discovered, RS and Mouser stock and sell them in bulk quantities. 

Are you looking to upgrade your guitar or return it to original specification with a view to selling it?

There are suppliers of adapters that link the five conductors of an aftermarket humbucker to a block connector to suit your PCB format. OTOH, for the price of those, you could buy fresh A500k push-pull pots with the good, old-fashioned hard-wired terminals. These would eliminate a whole bunch of unnecessary connections from circuit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74472
    spev11 said:
    I know they are bollox
    FTFY...

(With respect to Molex, who do make decent connectors *when they're necessary*.)

Otherwise, what Funkfingers said - it's only worth doing this if you're determined to return the guitar to stock for some reason. If not, it's easier and better just to get rid of them and solder the wires to the pots as has been the tried and tested method for seventy or so years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    I have an old Jedson Les Paul copy from the seventies that I fancy using for pickup swaps and try outs so I thought quick connects might be the way forward. I have no worries soldering, its just once its done I can do it in the comfort of my back room rather than my shed.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    My experience with Quick Connect™ pickup wiring harnesses is that they are very useful at the pickup end - enabling quick 'n' easy pickup swaps - but can be a drag in the control cavity.

EMG's ready-made 2-pin interconnect cables come in a standard length. In some contexts, they barely reach between components. In others, they are too long. They need to be crumpled up, occupying a disproportionate share of the available space.

The only time when Quick Connect™ wiring has proven advantageous to me in the control cavity was on a bass guitar. This has Seymour Duncan active pickups, hard-wired to an EMG Buss Board PCB. Thereafter, the connections are solderless. This granted me the option to reconfigure from NV, BV, MT to MV, Balance, MT, with the possibility of adding a -TBC equaliser.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.