A new challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• Having not done one of these forum kit build challenges is the final intention that the forum gets to vote for the one they like or found most interesting or is it just sharing the  journey.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having not done one of these forum kit build challenges is the final intention that the forum gets to vote for the one they like or found most interesting or is it just sharing the  journey.

In my opinion it’s all of those! The main thing is to share but it’s nice to know what others think
  • Well I am in for a challenge kit or otherwise as I got the Little Sister kit from the mrs last Christmas that has sat in the wardrobe for over a year lol. I also got some nice wood cheap at the Madinter open day in August mostly acoustic sets for other projects but fancy knocking some in to a forum challenge for something different may be a semi.

So all good if we can grab some other interested peeps 

• RolandRoland Frets: 8846
    @downbytheriver Are you still up for running this challenge?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1069
    edited December 2021
    If we gauge sufficient interest then I am happy to run the challenge. Unless there are strong feelings to the contrary I think we should use pretty much the same rules and criteria as @WezV ;set out for the 4Q18 challenge - open to discussion but I’d like to get this underway very early in the New Year…

I’ll prepare the terms! 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27946
    Can “a kit” consist of a prebuilt neck (GSP) and a lump of timber?

As @PhilKing said, a forum challenge might just be the kick that I need to JFDI.  I’ve been vaguely thinking of building a something for a while, but haven’t got any further than vague thoughts.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    tFB Trader
    I'm up for it. I told myself that I wasn't going to build another guitar but I have something in mind.
    TTony said:
    Can “a kit” consist of a prebuilt neck (GSP) and a lump of timber?
    I’m wondering that myself. I have a “neck kit” consisting of a neck blank, a fretboard blank, and a truss rod; and a barn full of timber. Maybe we call it the FFS Make Something challenge?
    I'm up for it. I told myself that I wasn't going to build another guitar but I have something in mind.
    It’s in your blood. Don’t deny your existence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:

Maybe we call it the FFS Make Something challenge?
    Sounds good to me
    ;)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3098
    Im in!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Just a thought, if its a kit* build challenge, could we make it a kit or a partcaster build, although a “just build something challenge”  is a great idea….

* I would guess many builders would rather source their own parts rather than throw away half a kit…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    I'll in too, whatever the challenge ends up as. Good to have a project to focus on in the new year
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    eSully said:
    I'll in too, whatever the challenge ends up as. Good to have a project to focus on in the new year
    This

• SeshSesh Frets: 1874
    This reminds me I need to finish my 2018 one...
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    tFB Trader
    I might have bought some items. 
    I might have bought some items. 
    That’s the easy bit.

As evidenced by the stacks of “some items” that are cluttering up my workshop, pending the “one day, that’ll come in handy for a build” actually happening.

:D
  • Right. 

The “1Q22 FFS Build Something Challenge” it shall be. The key is the build thread - without it, nothing counts. Starts today, ends on April Fools Day. 

Build from a kit, build from parts, build from scratch but FFS show us what you are up to! 

Any piece of guitar related clobber counts - guitar, bass, pedal, amp - anything that takes your fancy. It would be nice if you were tackling something new to you, but it’s not mandatory. 

What’s a build thread? A thread that hopefully discusses and displays your intention, your progress in as much detail as you prefer and the outcome… your thread should titled 1Q22 challenge followed by your project and name. Mine will be 1Q22 challenge Downbytheriver 335 style from a kit with stains. The kit should arrive tomorrow and I’ll start my thread… 

The main motivation is that we’re all in it together but the intention is that we will endeavour to have a result… which will be arrived at by the method @Roland suggested and hopefully will involve a prize or prizes depending on what we can up with. There’s no limit on imagination, creativity or budget - just join in and share! 

Agreed? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Agreed.
    tFB Trader
    It would be nice if you were tackling something new to you, but it’s not mandatory. 
    Graphics. Normally anathema to me :)