The Blues Album - Joanne Shaw Taylor - 2021

What's Hot
DavidRDavidR Frets: 837
edited December 2021 in Music
Dear me this is excellent fun. JST and a lot of good musicians' lockdown music.

Got it yesterday having waited for it on vinyl. She's good. How can anyone be given the talent to play like BB King and sing as well as Dusty Springfield! 

Might seem a little dated to younger ears but give it a whirl. For those of us brought up on the 1960's Blues Revival, and all the subsequent brilliant music it spawned, this sounds very good.

Top track - If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    I’ve got this too. I’ve only given it one spin so far, but I liked what I heard. I’ll give it another listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s quite good, played a few tracks on my Album show, does a good cover of a Little Village song, but can’t think of title at moment. 
  • I like JST but the promotion for this just seems to have her sucked into the world of Joe Bonamassa rather than recognising her as an interesting artist in her own right. Having said that I haven’t heard any of it as yet so I need to give it a spin. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Just had a quick listen. 

It's not really my genre, but she's clearly a superb guitarist and singer and the production is pretty decent.
  • I’m halfway through and went back and put on the White Sugar album. I think I just prefer that guitar riff/ small group set up which is more how she has been live. 
    But yes it sounds good as an album. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    Good album but could have more blues on it.  What there is is very good though.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    https://youtu.be/o0W82vKJHk0

Interview/ rig rundown from 2018. Very much the sound she had on record at that time. Her Tubescreamer tone is so much gnarlier than I think a TS is going to be (clicks them on from around 3:30) - although, obviously, it may be exactly the sound you have in your head when someone says Tubescreamer!