1Q22 Challenge - Vedder-inspired Tele (Q418 resurrection)

What's Hot
My original post: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/139718/q418c-roundthebend-eddie-vedder-black-p90-tele-replica/p1

I had a friend drill the thru-body holes for the strings. Then I put the body back in the box and hid it in the spare room.
My excuse is that work was mental busy. I'm now having a month off before starting a job which should be way less busy.

The good news is that I still want that guitar, and still have the passion to build it. I feel like it'll happen.

I think my first step is to prepare the body for the P90 and wiring, then I can do the decorating. My brother tried to do a John Squire influenced Les Paul but had trouble with the lumpy grain of his Harley Benton kit. I will use some grain filler and stain. I think I will do the forearm cut then mask it off while I paint the rest of the body in a black glitter style. Then I'll remove the masking and try to use some dark stain on the cut.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    Looking forward to updates
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28745
    Excellent. Looking forward to seeing this one finished :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Very minor progress today. I took some wood offcuts to the workshop to figure out how I would do the arm cut. Turns out my cheap electric planer works very well and is relatively easy to control. If I use that to get the bulk of the job done then I can manual plane and sand the final finish. I tried a rasp but it was hopeless, or I was. Maybe the wood was too soft.

First few passes got me here...

Then I went for an approximate finish...

Seems to be fairly neat and straight. I did the angle by eye, and I drew a diagonal first and tried to hit it. I was fairly accurate. I may try to build a jig to guide my plane at the correct angles but with this being a functional modification it doesn't actually need to be exact. Hope my guitar body is as easy to work with as this softwood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm slacking, but still have the desire to get this simple kit build finished.

I need some help with my finish approach. The body is going to have 2 elements to the finish. One is a black glitter and lacquer over, the other is just for the arm cut which will be a dark stain perhaps with a hint of blue/purple.

Question is, should I paint the whole body with the glitter and then do the cut. Or should I do the cut, then mask off when I do the two finishes? In which case, what order should I do the pieces?

Next up is more technical. I think grain filler is diluted with white spirit, which I think might react with the glitter spray and lacquer. I need help to choose the right materials to fill and finish so they don't react badly.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Use egg white for the grain filler…

• poopot said:

This sounds like a trick. I'm gullible enough to fall for it. I'd prefer to use a dedicated product. 
  • poopot said:

This sounds like a trick. I'm gullible enough to fall for it. I'd prefer to use a dedicated product. 
    It's legit. I've done it before with good results. If you are concerned about white spirit and your finish, z poxy could be worth considering, the only caveat is that I found it trickier to use than something like Rustins.
  • Anybody experience with this?

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/aqua-coat-clear-wood-grain-filler.html

Or am I overthinking it? Should I just use Rustin's thinned with white spirit and realise it works fine?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4731
    Anybody experience with this?

https://tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/aqua-coat-clear-wood-grain-filler.html

Or am I overthinking it? Should I just use Rustin's thinned with white spirit and realise it works fine?
    Probably, but that's the fun of projects!

Rustins works fine - unless you're using a clear finish in which case you might have to give it some thought. Solid colour and it'll be fine.